Arduino -like syntax on ARM mcu

JustinHoMi - I believe the board is made by ETT in Thailand and is an ET-ARM STAMP with either a 512K or 128K STM32F103.

The schematic is here.

I believe it is a proprietary design.

I have one. They are nice little boards, missing USB, but lower price than an Arduino.

GB

Ram - Are you really writing a new IDE, or using the Arduino-IDE as a base?

A new IDE seems like a lot of work when there are lots, and lots already available. What will it provide that the existing IDE's, like Arduino-IDE don't?

GB

...at least toggable Shift+Backspace? ;0)

Anyhow - noone of the xduino crew ever answered my buy request - do i have more chances getting one here? ;0)

This is quite intriguing. I have seen another group doing this http://blogs.leaflabs.com/?p=91
Yay for multiple options. :wink:

Hello,

Yes!!! the IDE is at the final stage now.. just testing on other machines to see if the installation/building goes smoothly.

Nachtwind I didn't respond to you as the IDE was not ready and you were waiting for that : -). One other person emailed me was that you as well? If so, I did reply, sometimes these email with pricing detail get stuck in email filters. Please send a private message on here as well if possible.

About the IDE, I thought about using other IDE such as eclipse, netbeans, etc. But those are too complex. Soon you'll see Xduino IDE which will be much more simpler than eclipse. Also, I did check with other programmers about making eclipse plug-in to make things more simple such as project templates, adding hardware options, etc etc. and what I have been told confirmed what I had in mind which was that a lot of things in eclipse are not well documented yet. So I did write that option off. I could manually compile in eclipse but setting it up takes about 5-6 steps making it not so suitable for a lot of users.

I plan to release the IDE for windows platform this week. The Linux platform should follow shortly unless there are some hidden wall that I cannot think of yet. I must thank you for your feedbacks as well as other feedbacks. Keep them coming so I can keep improving.... Yay!

Now... who doesn't want a 72MHz board? :smiley:

Does anybody know which ARM mcu the mbed project uses?

Maybe it wuld be interesting to support this mcu?

MikeMc68 told me on twitter: it is the LPC2368
will you support this mcu?

I have just finished diving in a swamp to finish up the initial release of XDUINO-IDE integrated with uploader tool, and now it's complete but currently available for private people to test.

LPC2368 looks interesting, let's see if it get more interesting I might consider writing codes for it. Currently the XDUINO supports STM32F10x family. Also, I currently don't have the board with that mcu, so first I'll have to get a hold of one to make consideration.

Several ARM mcus are going to be released in the next 2-3 months so let's see who'll be the most interesting.

If you have any suggestion please let me know. :slight_smile:

I asked on the xduino site forum if the board was the same as the ET-STM32 Stamp board sold by Futurlec, but it seems the question has disappeared.

Is it?

per Arduino ad astra: It might be, but I cannot confirm at this point.
: -)

Also, XDUINO-IDE is now available... :slight_smile:

You guys might gain a more popularity if you were a bit more "open". Lots of little secrets, and I don't particularly like having to give you my full address, cell phone number, age, etc just to check out the IDE.

JustinHomi: Thanks for your suggestion. I understand where you are coming from and have made some changes : -).

Again, thanks all for the valuable feedback, they are all helpful.

Thanks :). I'm not trying to be critical... I love the potential here, and I want it to succeed!

mbed.org have announced a new board using an NXP LPC1768.
Sadly it has an RRP of $99, with a pre-order discount price reduced to $60.
They also said the PCB CAD isn't available :frowning:

So the ET-STM32 stamp at futurlec.com is less than 1/2 the cost at $24.99.

Still, every step helps.
There are many interesting libraries, and a web-based tool-chain :slight_smile:

GB

Well, screw mbed then :). They either have a different target audience, or don't understand their audience. Arduino was successful with hobbyists because it's cheap & open. If you forgo either one of those then you're making a mistake... if you ditch both you're screwed, unless you have a big corporate backing.

Edit: they said the schematic will be available, so no big deal there. Still, the price is too high.

I strongly agree. Both the hardware and software need to be open. IMHO, part of the genius of the Arduino team is getting such a healthy balance.

The Arduino community is very important, it does amazing things, and I believe openness is a key part of what makes the platform so attractive to all these talented folks. I don't feel mbed has quite got there yet.

The mbed.org domain is registered to ARM, and some of the folks behind mbed are ARM employees.

I work with schools who are very cost sensitive, so mbed is expensive for them. We could get 4 Freeduino's or almost 4 ET-SMT32F's (60 ยข more) for the RRP for one of the new mbed boards.

I have mixed feelings about the mbed platform. It has some lovely features.

The schools I work with keep their machines consistent, and 'locked-down'. So the mbed web-based tool-chain removes the hassle of installing an IDE, and keeping it up to date.
Mbed goes a bit further because it doesn't need any drivers installed on the machine. The interface to mbed looks like an ordinary flash drive.

So, a reasonable processor advance over ATmega (e.g. ARM, PIC32/MIPS, ...) with a breadboard friendly or Arduino compatible pin-interface would provide an mbed equivalent hardware platform.

Implementing a standard modem or flash drive would remove the need to install a driver. This is achievable using e.g. a Cortex-M3, or an ATtiny.

A web-based tool-chain would help schools and might encourage pupils by making their code available everywhere. These are software obstacles that will likely get fixed for Arduino if mbed's approach takes off.

So the Leaflabs Maple looks like a great start; it's just $10-$15 too expensive. That'll likely get fixed in a few months anyway.

GB

How can I get a copy of the xduino?

May I suggest, before you buy, please read my link on the Xduino.
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1257646436

After you read my thread above then read the following parital email I sent
to the "one man Xudino design member" RAM. It seems that he has been
MIA (missing in action) for several months because there has been no updates to the IDE and functions/commands.

Xduino IDE/Firmware/Hardware/Software Problems Summary:
Version: 1.0
Date: 10/29/09
By XduinoAndy

Switching from the Arduino to the Xduino, most new users would expect the "same
or better" IDE and development software or they will be very disappointed.
Not having the ability to create an user library, for example, would really
disappoint new users from purchasing the Xduino. It is very important that the following
issues are fixed as soon as possible or other users will spread a bad review of the
Xduino. You might want to hold off in creating a user forum until these problems and all of
the other user "Feedback" are resolved.
You don't want to say "I will fix it later in the next release" when Xduino is a new product.

On the postive side, the Xduino has a lot going for it.
It is low cost, "open software" and is Arduino compatible. The compiler error messages
are much more informative than the compiler error messages on the Arduino.
The Xduino has features that the Arduino never had like 5 comm ports, RTC, low power
operation??? and a high speed M3 32 bit core CPU.

[IDE/Hardware/Software Issues]

Extremely Critical <---- Needs immediate attention
Critical
Low Priority

#1. No user feedback when saving a file. <--- very simple fix
(clear the status window and say "saving" and/or have a progress indicator)
On every project build clear the status window before the building/compiling is done.
Workaround: Just observe carefully the vertical bar on the message window.

#2. Device configuration (IDE) should have a user friendly selection. <---- very simple fix
Workaround: Just always choose the "E" device selection.

#3. Flash & Ram used indication on the status window after project build. <--- somewhat hard?
Workaround: None - Only on upload does it give the amount of flash used.

#4. Color text editor with (auto on command) indent - just like the Arduino editor.
(Check out the program "universalindentgui" at
http://universalindent.sourceforge.net/ )
(Check out the Editor Device-C++ from http://www.bloodshed.net/)
Its is almost imposible to detect user code errors without a color text editor!
Workaround: Have a color text editor work along side the Xduino IDE.

#5. "Saving as" whole project button to another project folder for incremental backups. <--- simple fix
Workaround: Manually do backups using file explorer. ---> Issues 5,7 & 11 are all together.

#6. Bring the firmware library up to the latest STM release revision. <---- somewhat difficult
This would help new users to create libraries for the Xduino on a solid "bug free"
latest release from STM.
Workaround: None

#7. Have a "library import" button to import library header/cpp files into a project. <--- simple fix
Another solution is to have a common library folder in the "user workspace" so all
libraries are in one place for accessing and compiling by a project.
Workaround: None ---> Issues 5,7 & 11 are all together.

#8. Scanf() doesn't work and Serialx.available() should not return a bool. <--- somewhat difficult
Serial communications algorithms are hard to make without these functions working properly.
Additional functions from the standard "stdio.h" also doesn't work. Getchar, Putchar
The Arduino has only one serial port and the Xduino has 5. A concerted effort should be
made to make sure that all the tools are necessary are in place to allow the user to create
serial communications sketches/C programs in a easy manner.
Workaround: Just use the limit functions already and wait for scanf

#9. Under setup, the comports a very limited to 1-5. They should be expanded because <--- simple fix
most FTDI USB cables go out of this standard range.
Workaround: Go to the PC System, Hardware and check all ports and force the FTDI to an empty "low port"

#10. Stop/standby current consumption is way too much on the Xduino/STM32 ARM Stamp. <------<<<<< #2 issue priority
30 ma. is too much by a factor of ~ 15,000 times the normal draw of 2 ua.
Note: The STM32 unique main feature is the ability to force the STM into a low power saving
sleep/stop/standy mode. This has to work for battery and low power operation.
Workaround: None --> further troubleshooting is needed. This problem has been fix by me.

#11. Cannot create user libraries for the Xduino. The Xduino/Arduino functions does not <------<<<<<< #1 issue priority
compile in a user library and also access to external libraries don't work?
Workaround: Put all code in the Xduino editor space. ---> Issues 5,7 & 11 are all together.

#12. Not enough room to see compiler errors - on big projects this window is way too small and hard to see
even if it does have a scrollbar. <--- simple fix
Workaround: Compile often and fix any errors immediately.

#13. Internet connection needed to run Xduino IDE? When offline, Xduinio will not start until there is an Internet connection?
This security feature has to go. Most of the time, I have other developments systems NOT connected to the internet.
In some cases by clicking several times to startup the Xduino IDE 4 or 5 Xduino IDEs shows up when I do connect to the internet.
There should be a timeout when the IDE doesn't find the internet that would allow the Xduino IDE to run!
Workaround: Go online then startup the IDE then go offline.

#14. Having to purchase an additional USB to RS232 cable for $25 for the Xduino is way too much money. <---- I can fix this very easy.
I have a solution to reduced this cost in half.
Workaround: I have a fix.

#15 The function millis() rollsover way too quick to be of any use. I found this problem and RAM fixed it immediately.

:frowning: >:( >:(

IMHO ARM Hardware Summary:
MBED - Too costly and not Arduino compatible, online compiler and stamp ARM CPU.
Cortino - No IDE and not Arduino compatible but same form factor.
Leaf Lab's Maple - Arduino compatible - work is still in progress - high cost and the same form factor.
Xduino - Arduino compatible - low cost - support is MIA, has stamp form factor.

Yes the Xduino 'stamp' is the ETT one from Futurlec.
The stamp is cheap, but no carrier board, so you have to make one yourself. I did this, its easy.

BUT, if it works on the stamp it should work with the DevBoard, which is the same chip, except 128kb flash instead of 512kb, plus plugs for the ports, sd card built in, lcd port, and other goodies. The dev board is only $39.90, STM32F103 Development Board

To bad the fellow wants so much control....

PS> the other MAJOR downside to this for folks way outside the Asia Rim is transport from order placement to delivery in the USA can be 4-6 WEEKS. Furturlec is notoriously slow. I've never had a problem, but you sure do need to plan far ahead.