Is Arduino Due coming?

Hi guys,

I was reading about the Arduino Due and about the plans to release it at the end of 2011.
Is it still in progress and when do you plan to release it?

Thanks in advance

BaHeX

plans to release it at the end of 2011.

And we've been asking ever since although I think most have given up.

Search the forum for other threads (there are a few), but the answer is something like "real soon now".

Rob

I wouldn't give up on the Due just yet, as there are a small number of "beta boards" currently in existence. However, I wouldn't hold my breath either... The best answer to your question is probably: "Yes, but we just don't know how long it will take."

Status = still over'Due'.

This reminds me of 'Due'ke Nukem Forever, that took 15 years from announcement to release.

The information is there if you look for it :slight_smile:

But what I haven't seen is any comment on whether it will be a single IDE that can support
both like MPIDE or whether it will be a separate IDE - which would be a total bummer.

Anybody got a link to the actual code so people can start to evaluate the IDE
and look over the source code to the core code and libraries?

--- bill

which would be a total bummer

I'm of two minds about this. A real IDE with all the associated goodies is a joy to use, the Arduino IDE could never be described as such but it is simple and that's important for many people.

Any decently sized and complicated program really benefits from the sorts of features available with a real IDE and IMO proper debugging support is a must. That said a 100-line program doesn't need that, so I think there's an argument for both.

Of course supporting two IDEs would be a lot of work.

Anybody got a link to the actual code...

Fat chance, if anything became available it would have been broadcast from the rooftops 2 minutes later.

Rob

What I was referring to was not a "better" ide but rather the mpide way of doing things
within the existing IDE interface:
1 ide that supports different processors transparently because they are just a different board type.

It is a joy to use mpide when testing on different boards,
as you can build the same sketch for an AVR based Arduino board
like an UNO and then flip over to a MIPs based Arduino board like the chipkit UNO32 by
just changing the board type.

I figured they weren't making any code available.
I think that is really dumb. Probably even dumber than what was done with Arduino 1.0
It is silly to keep things so hidden if they are really as close to release as they seem to imply
because the lack of additional testing and eye balls looking at it will only cause
the code to ship with issues that could have been resolved prior to release.

I wish the Arduino team would just swallow its pride and jump on to using mpide
as it has already solved so many of the multiple/different processor type using
the same IDE issues and is up and working today.

But I figure that won't ever happen given how tightly they seem to want to keep control
of everything.

--- bill

I've contacted the "Arduino team" many times offering to help...so far not one single response. I'd be happy to sign an NDA etc and as you say more eyes can't do any harm. I understand that you don't want too many actual developers and maybe they have enough (or maybe not) but you can have lots of people doing code reviews and inputting ideas.

There's nothing on the developers list either, not one post. So I guess we just have to wait until it's released then complain about the results. :slight_smile:

Rob

The IDE has had to be re-written for 32bit code. This means that ALL functions needed to be re-written for 32bit.

Arduino are working with Atmel directly and have had to work pretty hard on the liciencing of atmel code to fit the 'open source' model with the IDE. I think these two things alone have been some of what the hold up has been.

Its not as simple as just chucking another board out there and adding to an existing architecture IDE.

The signs are that the google android dev board is ready and based off the same techonlogy so it wont be long. I for one would prefer a nice stable product / IDE so its worth the wait.

The down side to all of this is 32bit libraries are going to take some time no-doubt :frowning: I cant wait for full colour 32bit oLED :smiley:

The IDE has had to be re-written for 32bit code.

Technically it's the libraries that have to be rewritten, although we do tend to use the term IDE to mean the lot around here.

I'm currently having a stab at porting to an LPC so I can appreciate the problems :slight_smile:

I suspect that some things just won't port across, but also there's the opportunity to add new features that weren't really practical with the smaller AVRs.

Rob

I just hope they enable Analog Comparators on this one, because it would be simply hilarious to be able to use video experimenter on this one...

BR

Bi0H4z4rD:
I just hope they enable Analog Comparators on this one, because it would be simply hilarious to be able to use video experimenter on this one...

Well even if that isn't supported by built-in functions or official libraries, using anything that's on the final microcontroller chip of the Due should be possible without too much difficulty (provide any required pins are broken-out :wink: ). Because the Arduino IDE natively understands C/C++, a lot of low-level control of the microcontroller can be implemented. Although this requires slightly more advanced knowledge of programing and the architecture of the main chip than many applications require. That stated, it would be nice to have some sort of easy to use high-level functions with for the majority of periphal features found on the Due's microcontroller, similar to the currently available Arduino boards.

AFAIK the SAM3X doesn't have analog comparators.

provide any required pins are broken-out

Don't bet on it, they left a few useful ones off the Mega.

Rob

Many people are hoping that they will release something at Maker Faire in this coming week or so.

The DUE will be released Oct. 22. This was announced at Maker Faire New York.

Do you have a link?

No, I was in the auditorium during the talk.

Ohhh okay. Lucky