Due and Zero not recognized on surface pro w/ windows 10

Hi all,

I've been working with the Uno on my Windows 10 / Surface Pro 3 for a while with no problems. However, I just got in both a Due and Zero and when I plug these into the USB, absolutely nothing happens on the laptop. The green light comes on on the boards.

Is there a Windows 10 driver issue? Again, the UNO works just fine.

Thanks,

Jeremy

dicemasterflash:
Again, the UNO works just fine.

Irrelevant. The Uno uses a different method for USB connection than either the Due or Zero. So saying your Uno works but the Zero doesn't is like saying "my mouse works but the Zero doesn't."

Have you tried installing the Windows 7 driver?
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoZero#toc8

Yes I've read that page already and tried following the instructions. The issue is when I plug the device in, windows does not start the driver installation process as the instructinos indicate. The Zero/Due do not show up as unknown devices in my device/system manager.

It would seem to me that others would have this problem on Win10. Should I simply manually install the driver from the zip archive?

Thanks for your help.

Have you updated the IDE or JAVA recently ?

Having similar problems since I did both of the above with only clone MEGA's using the USB 340 chipset actually working.
Also may have had issues with ANTIVIRUS not playing nice with the new IDE but I cant confirm that.

The fact that they're not even detecting as unknown devices suggests it's not drivers. This is an alarming finding - windows will usually detect (at least as unknown device), or if the hardware is broken, report that it's malfunctioning. So nothing shows up at all in device manager, nor are there any "this device has malfunctioned" warnings?

The fact that more people aren't complaining about this suggests it's not universal on windows 10.

One bit of voodoo to try - try taking a USB 2.0 hub, and putting it between the computer and the arduino. IIRC the surface pro has USB 3.0, and some implementations of USB 3.0 have compatibility problems (I have a USB 3.0 hub built into my monitor on my desktop - but I need to use a mouse and keyboard on my computer (fancy that), and most of my mice don't work in that USB 3.0 hub on the monitor, or direct from 3.0 on that computer, so I've also got a USB 2.0 hub taped to the bottom of the monitor too. But my other computer has USB 3.0 ports and everything works in those. And they're both Win10 - just different hardware, and different USB 3.0 chipset).

Also... those boards use big style USB connectors, not micro, right? Bad micro USB cables are all over the place; never trust them - sometimes by design ("charging cables"), other times due to poor quality, and sometimes just plain black magic (I have some micro USB cables that work with tablet but not phone, and others that work with phone but not tablet, and a few that work with both). The big bulky ones don't have that problem though.

DrAzzy:
Also... those boards use big style USB connectors, not micro, right? Bad micro USB cables are all over the place; never trust them - sometimes by design ("charging cables"), other times due to poor quality, and sometimes just plain black magic (I have some micro USB cables that work with tablet but not phone, and others that work with phone but not tablet, and a few that work with both). The big bulky ones don't have that problem though.

I don't have a Zero, but I do have a Due, which works fine on my Win10 box with IDE 1.6.5. BOth the Due and the Zero have microUSB ports, so I suspect DrAzzy's suggestion above might be the culprit. Those stupid charging-only microUSB cables will feed power to the board (hence the power LED lights up), but there are no data lines, so nothing for the computer to recognize as a known or unknown device.

I'm with the others, suspecting your cable.

I just installed 1.6.6, the Zero board definition (1.6.2), and had no problems at all.

This machine is a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10, 64-bit.

What great deductive reasoning! It was the cable. Which makes sense as to why my Due and Zero were not working but my Uno was (different cable). I guess I should have tried that first, it's just never been an issue before. It was a dumb mistake to make especially seeing that the cable was from a voltaic systems kit.

Thanks again for all your help and enjoy your weekend,

Jeremy