Sketch examples of scrolling text on 8x8 LED matrix w/ MAX72xx

Pedro147:
I just tried your ScrollTest 4 MAX code on my Max 7219, 8 x 8 Matrix set up and I can report that it works perfectly. I am not 100% sure, but when I compared it with your ScrollTest 2 version I think that there are two column spaces between chars with the ScrollTest 2 version but only one column space with the ScrollTest 4 version but I may be mistaken as it scrolls quite quickly and I couldn't find the code section that would slow down the scroll speed to verify this. I linked a short video of the 4 version so you can see what you think or if you tell me how to adjust the scroll speed code I will verify my suspicions. Once again excellent nice clean fonts,

Adjust this to alter the scroll speed.

const long scrollDelay = 70;

This version is a slight improvement (in my opinion) on ScrollTest2 as it does character kerning. It only scrolls the width of the character instead of a fixed width of the old version. This makes the display look neater when text has mix of wide and narrow characters like M & I respectfully.
A quick an easy hack to alter the overall spacing between characters is to add the below highlighted line

void loadBufferLong(int ascii){
if (ascii >= 0x20 && ascii <=0x7f){
for (int a=0;a<7;a++){ // Loop 7 times for a 5x7 font
unsigned long c = pgm_read_byte_near(font5x7 + ((ascii - 0x20) * 8) + a); // Index into character table to get row data
unsigned long x = bufferLong [a]; // Load current scroll buffer
x = x | c; // OR the new character onto end of current
bufferLong [a] = x; // Store in buffer
}
byte count = pgm_read_byte_near(font5x7 +((ascii - 0x20) * 8) + 7); // Index into character table for kerning data
count++
for (byte x=0; x<count;x++){
rotateBufferLong();
printBufferLong();
delay(scrollDelay);
}
}
}