Go Down

Topic: Diecimila PCB files (Read 3392 times) previous topic - next topic

warp

hi all,

this is my first topic as well as my 1st attempt to use arduino.
I'd like to assemble Diecimila but I can't find the PCB file (eagle or whatever). Am I missing something? I've searched the entire Arduino page with no luck. Any help is more than welcome.

thanks,
warp

westfw

Note that the "freeduino" board design is NOT a diecimila.  Rather, it's a diecimila-compatible design done in response to the non-availability of the design files for diecimila.

warp

thanks for the quick reply. just a couple of questions though..

i) is freeduino identical to Diecimila? As I'm new I would like to follow all the instructions and info available for Diecimila. Can I do this buy using the Freeduino?

ii) I had a look in the picture of the "Freeduino Arduino Diecimila compatible board complete KIT" and I noticed that the red PCB looks more like the Arduino USB V.2 board (which you can find it anyway). Am I confused?

thanks,
w

Daniel

Oct 15, 2007, 08:47 pm Last Edit: Oct 15, 2007, 09:55 pm by Daniel Reason: 1
hi @warp

The availability of the PCB files is a very long story: basically the Arduino team is afraid to release the Diecimila PCB files or the files for any shipping boards.

You should go into the "news" section of the forum and read the "open source hardware" threads.

Freeduino is a name we invented for Arudino compatible products, as we're not allowed to use Arduino as it's trademarked.

NKC electronics sells a 'Freeduino' Diecimila-compatible board: the one that looks like the USB V2.2.

Also recently, myself and the fine poeple who posted above have worked to design our own Diecimila compatible boards. You can find the files and the pictures of that board (in 4 versions) at http://www.freeduino.org/freeduino_open_designs.html

Hope this helps.

Daniel

PS: yes the Freeduino will work with any tutorial or knowledge found in  the forum  for the Diecimila. it's designed to be 100% compatible.

warp

hi Daniel,

thanks for your reply. It was very useful!

Does this mean that we should expect a "Freeduino Arduino Diecimila compatible board complete KIT" with your own Diecimila compatible board, at some point?

warp

PS. well done, i like the idea of freeduino project

Digger450

I believe it's already available here.

NKC is great to deal with!

warp

well, yes but as far as I'm concerned this product includes the USB V2.2 which is not the latest version of Diecimila.

warp

Daniel

Oct 16, 2007, 02:12 am Last Edit: Oct 16, 2007, 02:13 am by Daniel Reason: 1

Does this mean that we should expect a "Freeduino Arduino Diecimila compatible board complete KIT" with your own Diecimila compatible board, at some point?
PS. well done, i like the idea of freeduino project

Hi @warp

I won't be making a Diecimila-compatible kit, but I have heard that others will! Now that the files are out there, anyone is free to do anything they want with them, so obviously someone will pick up on this and start selling them. Also, NKC already has excellent Diecimila-compatible kits!

nkcelectronics

Hi, I would like to clarify some ideas about USB 2.2 and Freeduino.  

USB 2.2
There is no official USB 2.2 schematic and PCB released by the original Arduino Team.  I took USB 2.1 and added the diecimila features, and together with the ATMEGA168 with the DIECIMILA bootloader, is what I call Arduino USB 2.2, which was published as a pre-release version of Freeduino USB through hole kit.  That is why my USB 2.2 kit has the "older" FT232BL chip, but the idea of keeping it was because it has a footprint that is easier to solder for novice Arduino users, and more suitable for a kit.  I finally decided to solder them myself and sell the kit with the USB chip pre-soldered.  I better call it Arduino Diecimila clone, but the name Arduino is being trademarked by the original designers of Arduino, so that is why I had to give a name of "Freeduino" and add "Arduino diecimila compatible".  Freeduino because is the only name that is clearly defined as public and associated with Arduino, and "Arduino diecimila compatible" to reflect that the kit is diecimila compatible.

Freeduino
Freeduino took the Arduino diecimila schematic and redesigned it to be compatible, with the same FT232RL chip, including several PCB designs, that are available to the public.

There is no Arduino KIT (with the same board size and design), except my USB 2.2.  If you want a kit, that is the only option.  If you want derivative boards, you have several options (moderndevices, boarduino, etc).

If you want a pre-assembled board, then you have the original Arduino (as of today).  

westfw

As far as I can tell, the arduino environment does not have a lot of dependencies on the USB chip used, so a board (like nkc's) based on the USB2.1 schematic (and using the "old" chip), with a mega168, the "immediate reset" modification, and the diecimila bootloader, should be a fully-function diecimila "work-alike"; though not as pretty to look at (the main advantage of the new USB chip is that it eliminates several external components that the old chip required.)

I wouldn't hold up your arduino education waiting for either a "100% identical" or even a "latest revision" board; there just aren't that many differences, and they aren't that relevant to the stuff you have to learn anyway.  (for instance, I found Lady Ada's tutorials useful even though my first board was an MD "BBB")

warp

first of all i'd like to thank you. All posts are really helpful..

Secondly, i think i'll go for the NKC kit as it looks like what i need.

the last question i'd like to ask is:

I was reading the Diecimila characteristics and among others I read that
" A resettable polyfuse protects your computer's USB ports from shorts and surges".
Is this also true for the board included with the NKC's Kit?

PS. sorry if I'm asking 'silly' questions but I'm really new to the whole thing..

thanks,
warp

warp

ok, i found the answer in NKC's page (which is YES).  
sorry for askin..

Daniel

the new Freeudino designs also use the same type of flat SMT fuse used in the Diecimila, which give you protection against shorting the USB port.

D

nkcelectronics

ok, i found the answer in NKC's page (which is YES).  
sorry for askin..

Warp, as I said before, I think my USB 2.2 clone is the only clone that keeps the original Arduino board physical layout.   It is possible that there are a lot of confused people out there, and maybe you are the only one brave enough to ask! (looking at the situation from the full glass perspective)

I would like to clarify that the only intension I had mentioning my USB 2.2 is to show how anyone can contribute to a project when it is open and shared (copyleft in this case).  I am not soliciting anyone to buy my products.  I just created a derivative work that I think fills an existing gap.

Go Up