More Accessible Board Branding (Names)

Since quotes seem popular...

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference"

I bought my board only a few weeks ago, so I am a newbie in that respect. In terms of fitting in with the community it is important to understand that community. As well as being international, it is made up of fans - not some huge multinational corporation. This Forum is based on free, community developed software; the main site is a wiki written by the community. As such it lacks structure (and, apparently, leadership), but it has grown over a long time. To rebuild it from new would be nearly impossible.

The internet is global, and although a lot of people speak English (including those that speak American), there are a lot more for whom their native language is different. Even English has adopted 'foreign' words as a part of the language. It would be more impressive if people learned how to pronounce Duemilanove.

The board is controlled (well the name is owned) by the people mentioned elsewhere, and they have allowed the community to have a big say in what happens to the product. The Main website had a face lift at the weekend and has a new style and colour scheme. We can make suggestions, but have to accept the direction and pace of the owners. It may not be ideal, but we can hope that sensible suggestions are noticed.

I have not noticed any desire to worry about marketing - I read about the Arduino in a science magazine, I think. There are many different strategies to branding, with advantages and disadvantages. Apple is a simple name, but two companies chose it - a computer company and a record label (see, the Beatles). What followed was a battle over the name. A more peculiar name can be memorable and unique. A descriptive name like iPhone, or an odd name like Wii both have merits. Whatever your preference, it is unlikely to be changed.

I intend to help where I can - to pass on knowledge, to offer suggestions and to learn all I can about the Arduino models, the IDE and electronics in general. If people like my ideas or advice, brilliant. If not, that is their choice. The biggest help for this community is to make people welcome and to help out, so they don't become dissatisfied or feel excluded. I encourage everyone to adopt that behaviour.