Go Down

Topic: How to measure level of sand in a bucket/tank (Read 428 times) previous topic - next topic

nft007

I need to remotely determine the level of sand in a tank.

Once the sand levels in the tank are low, I want to receive a notification or turn an LED on (so to remind me to refill it).

I was wondering if there were sensors out there that could help me with this.

One idea I had was to have a proximity sensor attached to the lid of the tank that would point straight down to measure the height of the sand pile (once it reached half the tank height I would turn an LED on).

This is probably a bad way to do this and I want to implement a more elegant/accurate system.

Help/advice would be appreciated!

ieee488

CrossRoads

Get an ultrasonic sensor and try what you suggested in your original post.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

polymorph

Is it always dry sand, or can it sometimes be damp? Is the composition of the sand always substantially the same?
Steve Greenfield AE7HD
Drawing Schematics: tinyurl.com/23mo9pf - tinyurl.com/o97ysyx - tinyurl.com/q7uqnvn
Multitasking: forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=223286.0
gammon.com.au/blink - gammon.com.au/serial - gammon.com.au/interrupts

MarkT

Another possible approach is a light-beam across the tank that would be broken if the sand is high enough.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Go Up