Windows/Linux/Mac Eclipse plugin to compile and upload arduino sketches

please read This page has been moved and provide console info

This is what I am getting in the console.

Launching C:/Users/Sampi/Desktop/arduino-1.5.2/hardware/tools/bossac.exe --port=COM7 -U false -e -w -v -b C:\Users\Sampi\workspace\due_sketch/Release/due_sketch.bin -R
Output:
No device found on COM7
C:/Users/Sampi/Desktop/arduino-1.5.2/hardware/tools/bossac.exe finished

And what does the arduino verbose upload say?

Sorry I am new in this field. Can you tell me what you mean by verbose upload.
One more thing, in the serial monitor view, I do not see any drop down for available ports.

Please read through http://eclipse.baeyens.it/Arduino eclipse plugin FAQ.htm

Jantje:
neuweiler
I guess you missed the below info

Jantje:
I found the bug

String Value = MakeEnvironmentString(Var[1].replace("\"{build.path}/syscalls_sam3.c.o\"", "")); // /TOFIX

I don't know why you experience the due upload problem. I did extend some timings in the newest version (still under testing) so that may fix your problem.
Best regards
Jantje

Jep, in the latest alpha version the problem with syscalls is fixed! :slight_smile: Thanks a lot!
Also the upload problem is much better now with 2.1.0.3. Only in rare cases I have to give it a second try (I suspect the cause being that there's some stuff being transmitted on the programming port). But the problem is almost gone and I didn't have to do a manual erase until now.

Jantje, this is what the IDE upload shows

Binary sketch size: 9,628 bytes (of a 524,288 byte maximum) - 1% used
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port COM7
C:\Users\Sampi\Desktop\arduino-1.5.2/hardware/tools/bossac.exe --port=COM7 -U false -e -w -v -b C:\Users\Sampi\AppData\Local\Temp\build1388773460947028457.tmp/sketch_jun28a.cpp.bin -R
Erase flash
Write 9704 bytes to flash ....

But on eclipse I am unable to get any output and it shows -

Console view :-

Launching C:/Users/Sampi/Desktop/arduino-1.5.2/hardware/tools/bossac.exe --port=COM7 -U false -e -w -v -b C:\Users\Sampi\workspace\sketch1/Release/sketch1.bin -R
Output:
No device found on COM7
C:/Users/Sampi/Desktop/arduino-1.5.2/hardware/tools/bossac.exe finished

error log :-
eclipse.buildId=M20130204-1200
java.version=1.7.0_25
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_IN
Framework arguments: -product org.eclipse.epp.package.cpp.product
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.cpp.product

Warning
Fri Jun 28 16:38:05 IST 2013
Serial port COM7 not found. Did you select the right one from the project properties -> Arduino -> Arduino?

Strangely I do not get any dropdown when I try to configure the port at Properties/Arduino/Port.

Can you help me in uploading through eclipse. I am runing eclipse juno on windows 7.

As you can see the command executed is exactly the same between IDE and Eclipse plugin.
This means the preconditions are not met. In other words the due is not reset.
Try with resetting the due when pressing the upload button.
Also do the action as described here This page has been moved and provide the output.

I would expect you to be on a 64 bit eclipse which leads to This page has been moved

Hello,

The problem
I want to use a method in order to display debug information on the Eclipse monitor.
But the Serial.begin(9600); method is underlined in red.

My system

Mac OS 10.8.4

Arduino IDE 1.0.5

Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers
Version: Juno Service Release 2
Build id: 20130225-0426

(as all files have been downloaded and installed last week-end, I suppose my versions are up to date)

My research

But as I just want to have this common line working:

void setup()
{
serial.begin(9600);
}

the serial.begin method is underlined in red and therefore, compilation fails (Symbol ā€˜serialā€™ could not be resolved).

My Question
How can I proceed to send debug data onto the Eclipse monitor?

Thanks for the (long) time you spent on this forumā€¦

standardUser
This is the way I would like all questions to be formulated. It shows you have done some (serious) effort and are not yust "demanding an answer"
You must be active on other sites as this is your first post here :slight_smile:

Your problem

Basically the fact that some code is red underlined does not mean your code does not compile.
See This page has been moved for an explanation on this.

You do state the serial.begin method is underlined in red and therefore, compilation fails (Symbol ā€˜serialā€™ could not be resolved).
Please provide the console output and the sketch that fails. As far as I know there is no reason for the compilation to fail.

Your system
This should work. You have not supplied the arduino eclipse plugin version. As you use Juno you need 1.2.2.5 or later but not 2.0 or later (as you use Arduino IDE 1.0.5).

Your research
Note that this thread is long running and conatins lots of outdated or wrong info (I can not edit other peoples post and i do not maintain my posts)
The most up to date source is eclipse.baeyens.it. But even there info is somewhat outdated. So is the 1.3 I refer to 2.0 which has been released.

"File to index up-front;" has been removed in juno. Basically Juno does a far better indexing job. Compile once and the indexer should run.

- This linkĀ  Ā« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 07:35:25 pm Ā» http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=71358.0 seems to be complicated and I do not understand the action.

Make a distinction between using my eclipse plugin and standard eclipse CDT. To me this thread only proves how valuable my plugin is.

Your question

How can I proceed to send debug data onto the Eclipse monitor?

My bet: You are not experiencing a compiler issue but an indexer issue. The solution :"Compile the code"
If that doesn't fix it: provide me the code and the console output of the compile.
Best regards
Jantje

standardUser:
Hello,

The problem
I want to use a method in order to display debug information on the Eclipse monitor.
But the Serial.begin(9600); method is underlined in red.

But as I just want to have this common line working:

void setup()

{
serial.begin(9600);
}

the *serial.begin* method is underlined in red and therefore, compilation fails (*Symbol ā€˜serialā€™ could not be resolved*).

Can I just check which line is failing, as you've put both Serial and serial in your post. The correct one should be Serial.

I know it's probably just a typo, but you never know :wink:

It is just a typo in my code written in this post ; the program line is correct.

Meanwhile, I have read this wellknown bug and its temporary solutions in the other site :
(This page has been moved), paragraph Eclipse tells me there are bugs in my code but it compiles ok.

The red underline effectively disappears after compilation (but reappears when a new line is entered in the code). I even have found the autocompletion for Serial after 5 clicks of this combination (Enable indexer-Apply) ! Strange behavior...

Many thanks for your answer and your work.

Jantje
You say :
"You must be active on other sites as this is your first post here."

For 1 month, I am just reading books to get a Arduino knowledge and trying to have an optimal IDE in order to begin the Arduino programming. But it is really my first post on Arduino forums.
I have also tested the Atmel Studio 6 (Mac - VMWare Fusion - Windows 7) - nice IDE, but Eclipse works on the Mac.
Have a nice day!

@standardUser
It is a compliment.
The quality of your post indicates to me that you know how to ask a question. So basically: "You only have 1 post but you are not a noob."
Best regards
Jantje

Jantje,

I had earlier posted about not being able to upload from Eclipse using the Arduino plugin. Currently I can upload but I am not getting any output in the serial monitor.

I used a simple code like

#include "sketch1.h"

void setup()
{

Serial.begin(115200);
Serial.print("hello");
}

void loop()
{
}

Can you please help.

I am not getting any error message or warning.

It is possible the monitor opens to late.
Try this code

#include "sketch1.h"

void setup()
{
Ā  delay(1000);
Ā   Serial.begin(115200);
Ā   Serial.print("hello");
}

void loop()
{
Ā  delay(1000);
Ā  Serial.print("hello again");
}

Thanks Jantje,

It worked with the delay statements. :slight_smile:

I was earlier using plugin version v2. but currently I am using 1.2.4. When I am trying to compile a simple code like
#include "sam1.h"

//The setup function is called once at startup of the sketch
void setup()
{
Serial.begin(115200);
Serial.print("test");
// Add your initialization code here
}

// The loop function is called in an endless loop
void loop()
{
//Add your repeated code here
}

the code fails....

Method Serial could not be ressolved.
Symbol print could not be ressolved.

Please help. I am using Arduino Mega 2560 with arduino ide 1.0.5

I am having problem in uploading as well. It shows
AVRDude doesn't support the project target MCU(AtMega 2560)

This problem is happening in Linux(Ubuntu 12.04). But it works fine with Windows.

I have tried withboth versions of the plugin !.2.4 and 1.2.5

Scampi
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=79595.msg1294961#msg1294961