Did I fry my RTC chip?

=(

I have a DS1339C, the crystal is built in.
Wire.begin(); is called...then

Serial.println("Reading time");
Wire.beginTransmission(0x68);
Wire.write((byte)0x00);
Wire.endTransmission();

Wire.requestFrom(0x68,7);
Serial.println((int)Wire.read());

It always prints back 0,0,0,1,1,1,0, each on a different line, leading me to believe the oscillator is not working or something else is wrong. The i2c communication seems to be working fine, because I can set a time on the RTC chip and when I read it back it's no longer 0,0,0,1,1,1,0.

I THINK I have it wired up correctly. With the notch facing up, top left pin is SCL, top right is SDA.

So, assuming this chip is facing up
SCL - SDA
SQW - GND
VCC - Vbackup
NC - NC
NC - NC
NC - NC
NC - NC
NC - NC
Every NC pin is attached to ground. Vbackup is grounded, VCC has 5v out from a Arduino micro. SQW is floating, GND is grounded, SCL and SDA are hooked up appropriately.

According to the DS1339 datasheets, the chip can handle 5v fine. I am not so great at soldering so I wonder if I somehow damaged the chip, but it's odd that it is partially working.

Reviewing the datasheet again..it calls for a pull-up resistor from SQW to VCC. Just added a 1k there to VCC, but still no dice.

Arduinos, including the Micro, have pull-up resistors built in and enabled by default for i2c, right? The device calls for pullups on SDA and SCL, but the Micro should have that built in?

http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS1339-DS1339U.pdf

"The slave address byte contains the 7-bit DS1339 address, which is 1101000,
followed by the direction bit (R/W), which is 1 for a read."

Does wire add the 0/1 to the LSB to make the complete 8-bit address?

Any chance you wrote a 1 to MSB of the control register?

Bit 7: Enable Oscillator (EOSC). This bit when set to logic 0 starts the oscillator. When this bit is set to a logic 1,
the oscillator is stopped. This bit is enabled (logic 0) when power is first applied.

So, I was just looking into that. EOSC, and the status address.
Status(0x0E) is showing as 128 on power up.

So I wrote 128 to 0x0F, control, to disable the oscillator, then wrote a 0 shortly after to reenable.
Still, the timer is not working.

I'm wondering if this device truly isn't 5v compatible, because the oscillator is getting disabled on powerup, and even if I turn it on, it doesn't actually seem to be working.