Motion LED Lights

Goal: To setup have lights come on when I open the door to my apartment.

Parts: LED strip lights, PIR motion sensor, Arduino

Problem: While I'm a fairly good programmer I am not up to par with my electronics. I took some electronics classes in college but it has been awhile. I'm not quite sure how to setup the circuit or resistances needed for this setup. I'd prefer it to run off of a battery but I can run it from an outlet. If a battery setup is possible, how often would the battery need to be changed? Any help with the circuit setup would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I realized I left off that the light would stay on for a set amount of time, probably 3 minutes, then turn off.

Takachsin:
If a battery setup is possible, how often would the battery need to be changed?

Divide the capacity of the battery by the current draw of the components to calculate (roughly) how long the battery might last.

The PIR sensor will detect motion of a warm body. How do you want that signal to relate to the lights? You say you want the lights to come on when you enter but you don't say if you ever want them to go off again.

johnwasser:
The PIR sensor will detect motion of a warm body. How do you want that signal to relate to the lights? You say you want the lights to come on when you enter but you don't say if you ever want them to go off again.

Sorry I forgot to add this in. I was thinking that the PIR sensor would detect me as I come through the door / would gain "sight" on me when the door opened. The lights would come on for about 3 minutes then go off.