Hiring: Application Developer Intern at prominent Architecture Firm

APPLICATION DEVELOPER INTERN

KieranTimberlake, a prominent internationally recognized Philadelphia (USA) architecture firm and leader in practice based architectural research, is seeking an Application Developer Intern for a summer internship with the KieranTimberlake Research Group, a trans-disciplinary research team interrogating and advancing building design practices through material, system, process, and environment driven questions.

KieranTimberlake is recognized as a leader in environmentally innovative design for buildings such as Sidwell Friends Middle School in Washington, DC; Sculpture Building and School of Art Gallery at Yale University; Special NO 9 House for the Make It Right Foundation in New Orleans. They are equally recognized for building concepts such as SmartWrap™, a mass customizable, energy generating building envelope; and Cellophane House™, a fully transparent, recyclable, off-site fabricated home.

KieranTimberlake distinguishes itself by applying its experience in architectural practice to product centered research to drive innovation in the design process, building performance, and post occupancy measurement and verification. The firm is currently developing a product portfolio in the area of building sensors and data visualization tools.

POSITION DESCRIPTION

The Application Developer Intern will develop, refine, prototype, and test an open source hardware and software platform targeted at architects and building management to monitor the performance of buildings through wireless sensor networks. Candidates must exhibit strong collaborative skills and a willingness to work on a multidisciplinary team for which they are the only software developer. The results of the intern’s work will be deployed in monitoring platforms within buildings both domestically and internationally; their work will be distributed under a GPLv2 Open Source Public License.

QUALIFICATIONS

The KieranTimberlake Research Group, as a highly collaborative entity, requires its members to be functional in a social environment and have sound oral and written communication skills. Each member must demonstrate leadership abilities; they must effectively articulate questions, work-out their ideas publically, and engage groups in brainstorming exercises.
Required Skills: Familiarity with Java, C/C++, and SQL/PHP required. Familiarity with Python and Perl is preferred. In-depth working knowledge of the following areas: TCP/UDP Protocols, HTTP, DHCP, DNS, 802.15.4, and 6LoWPAN Protocols. Experience with wireless 802.15.4 modules, M2M, microcontrollers, and the open source Arduino/Processing development environment is preferred.
Candidates for the position must be pursuing a 4 or 5 year bachelor’s degree or a graduate degree in computer engineering, computer science, or electrical engineering.

SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS

The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability, confidence, and desire to inquire the limits of the possible and seek novel programming solutions to complex problems. Their body of work, including projects, reports, and publications, will evidence their programming capacity. The position reports to the Research Director and Partners.
Please send the following, as an attachment: A resume and research/project portfolio. All materials should be sent to Billie Faircloth, Research Director, to bfaircloth@kierantimberlake.com with “Application Developer” in the subject line. The total size of the attached file(s) cannot exceed 3MB. Due to the volume of interested applicants, we are not able to respond to telephone inquiries.
KieranTimberlake is an equal-opportunity employer.

Sounds like fun, I wish I was 20 years younger and 10,000 miles closer :slight_smile:

Rob

Don't we all! (Just marked off another year celebrating the wife's birthday.)

And today it's 32 years 'er indoors and I have been hitched. Man where does the time go?

Rob

Interesting qualifications required.

Required Skills: Familiarity with Java, C/C++, and SQL/PHP required. Familiarity with Python and Perl is preferred. In-depth working knowledge of the following areas: TCP/UDP Protocols, HTTP, DHCP, DNS, 802.15.4, and 6LoWPAN Protocols. Experience with wireless 802.15.4 modules, M2M, microcontrollers, and the open source Arduino/Processing development environment is preferred.

But,

Candidates for the position must be pursuing a 4 or 5 year bachelor’s degree or a graduate degree in computer engineering, computer science, or electrical engineering.

How is one supposed to have all the required skills while still a student?

I don't think that the job would be one I'd want. Unrealistic expectations all around.

And today it's 32 years

You don't even get that for murder and no time off for good behaviors. XD

I beat you by just a year and a half.

Hiring:

Intern

Don't sit too well do they.
I hate greedy firms like this that try and get something for nothing. I would steer clear.

These guys are expecting a very high level of all round ability which is very hard to find They want a hardcore chip programmer who is also a hardcore internet programmer but the fact is both the technologies (embedded programming & web development) require mastering different abilities and the trend in IT firms is like they want a guy who is fluent in one thing like if one started with .net he is expected to have 4-5 years of experience in the same and would be hired to work on the same , atleast in the Indian market things go this way.

Even in web Development firms the guys who are into designing a website front part(The design and looks) are different from the ones who programme the back-end, so simply in this way only they have to get a fluent embedded developer and another web tech. developer to work on for the technologies like TCP/UDP Protocols, HTTP, DHCP, DNS, 802.15.4, and 6LoWPAN Protocols.

Well it could be worse, I applied for a job up in the Territory that had all the usual software, hardware and mechanical design requirements but also this (I paraphrase)

• Swift water and small boat handling skills.
• Firearms license.
• Ability to drive a 4x4 vehicle in very rough terrain, often with little or no tracks.
• Ability to recover said 4x4 vehicle with no outside support when it gets bogged.
• Able to ride a quad bike and motorbike.
• Able to live and work unsupported for periods of up to two weeks in the wilderness.
• Able to work in difficult, hot and humid conditions.
• Crocodile wrestling ability looked upon favourably.

Bugger me if I didn't get the job, but I changed my mind, mostly because it was too far to move the truck as we were down south at the time and the job was way up north.

I never asked why the firearms licence was required, maybe in case you encounter a croc (a very real possibility in this job) and your boat handling skills are not quite up to par.

Rob

OK I lied about the crocodile wrestling bit :slight_smile:

OK I lied about the crocodile wrestling bit

To us about need to, or to them about being able to?

To you guys, but I reckon they were going to spring that on the applicant after he started :slight_smile:

Rob

Able to live and work unsupported for periods of up to two weeks in the wilderness.

Mannn............NO in anycase my Muscles would deplete :astonished:

That's no problem, I assume they supplied food of some description and I wasn't supposed to shoot kangaroos for lunch. Then again there was that firearms thing.

Water would not have been a problem, as you have probably guess the job was around lots of it.

Rob

Water would not have been a problem, as you have probably guess the job was around lots of it.

Mr. Rob, I would hold the opposition :roll_eyes: at that, the water available at those type of resources is so much polluted that it can easily ROT your kidney's + there are some species of frog who's venom is like comparable to king cobra :fearful:, surely Boiling works but then knowing that all that DUNG and other animal waste is in that resource makes you die thirsty. :slight_smile: :smiley:

EDIT: What about predator's? aren't they nearby, Do you have Grizzly Bear's ]:smiley: there? if all of this or similar stuff is there :sweat_smile: then i would not like to be featured on Discovery Channel :astonished: with my left over Documentary :smiley:

• Swift water and small boat handling skills.
• Firearms license.
• Ability to drive a 4x4 vehicle in very rough terrain, often with little or no tracks.
• Ability to recover said 4x4 vehicle with no outside support when it gets bogged.
• Able to ride a quad bike and motorbike.
• Able to live and work unsupported for periods of up to two weeks in the wilderness.
• Able to work in difficult, hot and humid conditions.
• Crocodile wrestling ability looked upon favourably.

Huh. They certainly could have shortened that list considerably...

• Hillbilly

He he, except that's not a term we use here and I don't know if there's an equivalent.

Rob

Hillbilly

It reminds me of that old popular American Programme "The Hillbillies"

Wow, this sounds a lot like my thesis project I finished last year: http://HomeNet.me.