Smart servo project

zoomkat:
The mechanical servo output may not actually be where the feedback indicates for small movements. I tested a standard hobby servo and found its repeatibility was ~.4 deg. The attached pix shows the simple test setup.

If the encoder were mounted on the output shaft, then I'd think one could get the full 12-bit resolution (I assume 12-bits based on the earlier specs).

I tried adding AS5055 encoders to a servo. I wasn't careful enough with the alignment and it gave very erratic readings.

@stellanhaglund I'm very curious how you're connecting the magnets to the output shaft. Is this where your "customized steel gear" comes into play?

I really like the idea of using encoders inside of servos. I think the biggest plus of this sort of project is the elimination of potentiometers from servos. I have several hexapods and I have to replace servos every once in awhile because the pots go bad. I'd love to replace the pots with high resolution encoders.

I think the main weakness of the moti servos was the use of pots for position feedback.