Portable text receiver

Hello, i was wondering if there is any way to make a wireless text receiver? normally i will use a WiFi shield to display text, but it is still limited to a WiFi network. i am looking for a way to receive text and display through an LCD using something like 3G. I have a GSM module/GPRS module from iComSat, but i dont know whether or not it has a 3G function. My main purpose of building it is for transmitting text over sea... although there are ready made options such as whats app and Facebook, but i want to give a go at making my own communication device.

My initial method (which is not practical ) is to use my WiFi shield, and connecting it to a MiFi. But i think that its not a reliable method as it has to rely on a separate device, i was hoping i can combine it to one . i need something that can have a static dynamic IP so can connect to this device using TCP... another method i was thinking is to use Text to send a message to my GSM shield, but that would be too expensive and i would rather use a phone... any suggestions would be great!!

Zhank you!!

In addition to the previous post, is there such thing as a WiFi emitting shield? could the 3G shield do such a function?

anybody?

Yes, there most certainly are wifi shields. Here is one:
http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1438

There are others as well. I saw a GSM shield at Radio Shack and couldn't believe my eyes. I'd like to check that stuff out, but my phone provider doesn't use SIM (sp?) cards so it would be expensive to sign up another phone thru a different provider.

hey, thanks for the reply, are there any 3G shields?

desmondttm123:
hey, thanks for the reply, are there any 3G shields?

Hmmm, that's a good question. How would you find out - other than waiting for somebody to tell you?

actually i have googled it, and found out there is, but i dont know whether or not it will be suitable

Sorry to take so long, but is that what you want?

It's a GSM/GPRS shield. Looks pretty slick for the price. Of course you need a compatible phone provider.