USB Host Shield 2.0

Right, I'm using USB Host Shield with Arduino Uno. I'm very new with Arduino - please forgive me in advance for silly questions.

The shield is connected and red power LED is ON.

1. When I plug in a USB device, e.g. IPOD or USB memory stick nothing happens. I connected a 9 V external power supply - still nothing happens when USB devices are connected.

2. I installed the USB Host Shield 2.0 library and tried to compile example USB_desc.pde. I get error compiling with the following,

In file included from /data/tinkering/Arduino/sketchbook/libraries/USB_Host_Shield/SPP.cpp:18:0:
/data/tinkering/Arduino/sketchbook/libraries/USB_Host_Shield/SPP.h:109:22: error: '__FlashStringHelper' does not name a type
/data/tinkering/Arduino/sketchbook/libraries/USB_Host_Shield/SPP.h:109:42: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'parameter' with no type
/data/tinkering/Arduino/sketchbook/libraries/USB_Host_Shield/SPP.h:115:24: error: '__FlashStringHelper' does not name a type
/data/tinkering/Arduino/sketchbook/libraries/USB_Host_Shield/SPP.h:115:44: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'parameter' with no type
/data/tinkering/Arduino/sketchbook/libraries/USB_Host_Shield/SPP.cpp:725:23: error: '__FlashStringHelper' does not name a type
/data/tinkering/Arduino/sketchbook/libraries/USB_Host_Shield/SPP.cpp:725:44: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'ifsh' with no type
/data/tinkering/Arduino/sketchbook/libraries/USB_Host_Shield/SPP.cpp:762:25: error: '__FlashStringHelper' does not name a type
/data/tinkering/Arduino/sketchbook/libraries/USB_Host_Shield/SPP.cpp:762:46: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'ifsh' with no type

I am attaching my ~/.arduino/preferences.txt What else can I do?

preferences.txt (2.58 KB)