advice needed for arduino as diesel injection brain...

Drilling nozzles is only good for creating porcupines.

Over here you can find a small list of bosch nozzles usable on a lot of different injectors, mechanical or electronic all exchangeable:

DSLA is the "dimension" type and the 145 is the spray angle, only thing not listed is the injector angle in the head so you have to see before you buy.
If you have some other model it is still possible they can be exchanged, find some nozzle reseller and try.

Truck pumps have the disadvantage for me that they can't handle high rpm's, the 2.0l engine is good for 9000rpm (even with convential mechanical pump) so that means 4500 for the pump, large pumps like on US Cummins diesel pick up trucks can only rev to 2500 or 3000 so they are off. (and heavy since our class may only weight 600kg including driver that is an issue)
For tiny use (up to 200cc) a pump from 3.0l automotive engine will do, for your goal a truck pump will probably do it's job.

When looking at the pics from the Italians I think they can use more juice, no idea what temps and air flow they have but I don't see enough smoke... :wink: