And the newb question of the day is!....

How do I download a sketch to an Arduino Mini? I Just got one (Mini-er then I thought!) and there is not a port to plug in to? Do I solder one on, or..? Thanks, Steve.

I've not seen the mini personally, but I would make an educated guess that you need a USB>TTL breakout/adapter to connect to the RX/TX pins for upload via bootloader, OR use an ISP programmer to just upload via SPI without the bootloader.

I'm sure someone else will come along to confirm or correct.

First paragraph: "It can be programmed with the USB Serial adapter or other USB or RS232 to TTL serial adapter."

To program the Arduino Mini, you will need a USB Serial adapter or other USB or RS232 to TTL serial adapter. See the page on getting started with the Arduino Mini for instructions.

Here is the one I use for all my custom board (none ever have USB > TTL ports/chips on them)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CP2102-USB-2-0-to-UART-TTL-6PIN-Module-Serial-Converter-/130683943875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6d5ebbc3

there is a thread on here about how to breakout the DTR pad... as the RESET pin is to RESET the chip on the cable itself.. NOT RESET on the ARDUINO... but its really self-explanitory/easy once you look at it..

Thanks! Karma bump for all! Steve

np..

for me they are cheap.. .. and VERY easy to use..

(in my footer in a link to how several of use mod'd ours) FTDI 2 I think?

connect +5v , GND, RX & TX wires to target board..

*Note.. you may need to swap the RX/TX wires... some swap at board level and label different..

RX should go to TX and
TX to RX on most devices as protocol..

shipping takes a little bit from china.. .. maybe a local seller in Cali?