So, Realtime Wireless Data to iPad / iPhone. How?

Just now followed the link to the other thread you are referencing and where some of the discussion is about Bonjour/Zerokonf.

The set-up I described in my post above will allow you to do exactly that using WiFi. It works quite beautiful in my project! There are several reasons I arrived at the above configuration:

1. Some of the libraries I am using are based on the Arduino Ethernet Shield and it's library. These libraries use lower level ethernet library functions that "talk" directly to the W5100 ethernet chip on the Arduino Ethernet card. If you were to use another WiFi shield you'd have to adapt the functionality of these to the different WiFi chip. In my case these are the Georg Kaindls DHCP and Bonjour libraries and Rekotana's ArdOSC library.

2. If you've read through what Georg Kaindl writes on his web site it becomes clear that the compiled libraries are quite big. A test sketch that allows me to turn on/off the LED on the Teensy++ via TouchOSC (iPhone) is already about 26 - 27 KB. There was not much more space left for the other code I needed for my project. I would have either had to use an Arduino Mega but really did not like the form factor and price of it. The Teensy++ costs $24, offers 130KB of memory for your code and is much smaller - about the size of an Arduino Nano.

3. If less technically inclined people are going to use you set-up perhaps in a different environment it really is nice for them to be presented with the configuration interface of the pocket WiFi router. Changing settings is a breeze compared to having to change Arduino source code and compile/upload it. With the router solution you can also integrate it nicely and easily into an existing WiFi network which eliminates some of the hassles that you may have using a standalone AP.
    My project uses TouchOSC as a remote control application and I would not want to change the network setting on my iPhone each time I want to remote control my device/project.

4. Another nice feature of the Teensy++ is that the download of the code is with full USB speed and is in fact lightning fast compared to the Arduino Uno I used before.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!