using arduino to recognise gestures

okie... i am a newbie to aurdino i need ur help even if its a simple question pls guide me...i am thinking the coding can be done in two ways....<1> getting the total resistance value and mapping it to the sign to display.. or <2>should i take the total resistance from the flex sensors and convert it into degrees and then mapping the specific degree to a sign.
which method is best and gives accurate results... if there is a better way pls suggest it.
And mapping is a bit difficult so pls provide a sample or tutorial

What you are not understanding is that this project is way above your head. It is on the threshold of being impossible. It is not the sort of thing you can do with a bit of help from a forum.
You need to learn a lot before you know enough to be able to understand the answers you get.
So go and do some tutorials, learn how to read a pot and print out the result.
if you want to make a simple start see if you can recognise the one dimensional variations you get from a pot.

You question shows you have not understood one little bit of what I told you in my first reply.

i agree its a little bit tough but i have submitted synopsis of this project as my final year engineering project and there is no turning back now, i am not to change it. however i have told them that i will show the output of the numeric gestures ie 0 to 9. if time permits then ovals . I have 3 months time. hook or cook i have to find a way to get it done. we have to do the project on our own we can only ask guidance if i get it done from some consultancy they will come to know and we will get very low marks, i had done workshop on embedded systems using arduino i know about it a little, so i will start with the pot.

Interesting project. With the scope reduced to digits you'll obviously have a much better chance of getting it working. Be careful that you don't just match on the closest of your known symbols - you'll alsohave to be able to indicate "I have no idea what symbol he's making". Will you make or buy the glove?

i will buy the glove and then embed the flex sensors if possible accelorometer....

karnalgirish:
we have to do the project on our own we can only ask guidance if i get it done from some consultancy they will come to know

This:

karnalgirish:
pls can any one help me and get me the code. thank you.

Does not sound like you're expecting to do it on your own. You're asking for somebody to give you the code. The fact you're committed to doing this project does not mean that you're capable of it. From what you've said so far, you don't seem to have the first clue how to go about it. Prove me wrong: how are you going to develop the algorithms, software and hardware to solve this problem?

If your answer is "I don't know, please tell me" then you will not succeed at this project without cheating.

i am committed to do the project i know the hardware my branch is electronics but the problem is the software part. out letchures dont help us, we cant completely do it on our own i have to take help from someone, so if i get some similar codes then it vl be easy

i am trying to learn it by doing it in fritzing... i made a basic circuit ie wen the fkex sensor varies and depending on that the leds will glow... but i dont know how to run it... i have written the code in arduino.... what should i do next...

Does it have to be Arduino alone ?

Could you use Arduino to read the flex sensors and offload the gesture recognition to a PC ?
That would be much better.

karnalgirish:
what should i do next...

What do you need to achieve to have the complete project working? Break the work down into the smallest steps you can.

I just looked at a sign language chart, see attached, so here's my off-the-top-of-my-head thoughts as clue to how this could be done. (Assuming that's the sign language you're using, I suspect there's more than one protocol.)

With a quick look at the digits 0-9 on the chart, it seems that each finger (and when I say finger I include thumb) has only two positions- extended and folded.

So for a sensor, treating them exactly like pots as shown in this tutorial calibrate the readings into three zones: extended and folded of course, and also an "unknown".

Then read the glove and decide what position each finger is, and Voila!

Over to you... that should get you going? I probably said too much, and deserve the wrath of other posters.

[rant]As is sooooooo often the case, this is a typical example of someone wanting to dive into code without the slightest thought as to what the hell he's trying to do in the first place. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: [/rant]

sign.jpg

How many flex sensors are you thinking of using? Apologies if it's explained in your attachment - the Arduino servers don't feel like letting me open it today.

karnalgirish:
i am trying to learn it by doing it in fritzing... i made a basic circuit ie wen the fkex sensor varies and depending on that the leds will glow... but i dont know how to run it... i have written the code in arduino.... what should i do next...

The link to your project appears to be dead, so not really sure what your project is trying to do. You haven't posted your code. Perhaps you can give a detailed list of the seperate parts of your project, how these parts are expected to work, and what you have accomplished so far in making the parts work.

Yep error 503 on that link... would be nice to see the ppt presentation.

karnalgirish:
i will buy the glove and then embed the flex sensors if possible accelorometer....

You haven't mentioned what the purpose of the accelerometer is?

To me, this project isn't about gestures.... to me a gesture implies movement and perhaps that's where the accelerometer would come in. This project is more about poses, in the sense that it needs to read a set of static, pre-defined "finger configurations".

If it's only the digits 0-9 and if it's the language I posted where a finger is either extended or curled (and an illegal no-mans-land in between) it's actually pretty trivial.

To me, this project isn't about gestures.... to me a gesture implies movement and perhaps that's where the accelerometer would come in. This project is more about poses,

Exactly. ]:slight_smile:
Thinking the project was actually about gestures is what prompted me to write the earlier replies. A crap question always generates a crap reply.

It seem that the project as now framed is much more doable.

You haven't mentioned what the purpose of the accelerometer is?

I suspect just to show if the finger is pointing up or down.
That is possible but requires a bit of skill mounting small surface mounting packages on fabric. Then trying to address all five accelerometer without a ton of wiring is tricky. Most accelerometers are I2C devices but with not that many addresses. The analogue output accelerometers have a small output prone to noise pickup.

A crap question always generates a crap reply.

Or at least a Grumpy one.....

JimboZA:

A crap question always generates a crap reply.

Or at least a Grumpy one.....

Yes indeed. :wink:

looking at the diagrams posted, you could start off a crude prototype with a glove with 5 microswitches at the base of each digit ( digit bent or straight ) and a contact at the end of the thumb and the tips of the fingers for 6, 7, 8 ,and 9 .

You could use 10 " if" statements ( I am talking crude here ) the contacts would override the microswitch combinations ?.

Lots of work to do, but it could be a start.