Remote control Fan

Hi all,

Wish to get some inputs on this project which i find it interesting but yet to see any people performing this project. Wonder is it possible to add a wireless control to the fan and control it via android app? For instance to switch on/off and to adjust the different fan power. i am new to interfacing arduino to higher power (electrical unit) and wish to get some kind inputs. Thank you.

regards
:slight_smile:

Wonder is it possible to add a wireless control to the fan

I don't believe the Arduino has a fan. None of mine do, anyway.

Making an Arduino control a fan, turning it off or on, is easy. Setting the speed may or may not be, depending on the fan.

Using an Android to push switches on the Arduino is possible. Though using your finger is just as easy.

Perhaps you need to explain your project a little better.

PaulS:

Wonder is it possible to add a wireless control to the fan

I don't believe the Arduino has a fan. None of mine do, anyway.

Making an Arduino control a fan, turning it off or on, is easy. Setting the speed may or may not be, depending on the fan.

Using an Android to push switches on the Arduino is possible. Though using your finger is just as easy.

Perhaps you need to explain your project a little better.

perhaps i had not been clear in my writings,

1. Interfacing Arduino to control a stand fan. Original fan control unit is of push buttons. Use the arduino to replace the fan control unit to control the different oscillations speed.
  2. Use Android program to communicate to the Arduino wireless. Android app will act like a remote control.

wish to get some ideas what components are required? is it possible to modify the fan control unit ?

Hello, this relay should work to control the fan.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Relay-Module-for-Micro-Controllers-Arduino-5v-3-3V-125V-Switch-Large-Loads-/330843833884?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=l64sNxknsg7JOCXKSx5ttUjaxnE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

You will need this to allow your Android phone to communicate with your Arduino.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-From-Sparkfun-Bluetooth-Module-for-Arduino-and-Android-/190585287536?pt=US_USB_Bluetooth_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item2c5fc4b370

Good luck!

thanks, i believe the relay is a "power up" middleware which helps TTL 5 v arduino output to interface with higher power circuit.

Any idea how to rewire the fan control unit to interface with the arduino?

thanks, i hope it is a feasible project..:smiley:

Original fan control unit is of push buttons

Are these push buttons, tact (momentary) buttons? If so, then you need to see what happens when the button is pressed. does it go low, meaning to ground, or high, to 5 volts or something? It will be much easier to wire the arduino to the control unit, if you know how the buttons are setup.

I'm imagining this as similar to desk fans which are common here, with big clunky buttons to select different fan speeds and a mechanism to stop more than one speed from being selected at once. You'd need to replace all of that with a set of relays controlled by the Arduino. If you wanted to allow direct manual control as well as remote control, you'd then need to add a corresponding set of momentary switches that the Arduino could read so that you could drive it manually. It all seems doable, although the only way the project makes sense to me is as a learning exercise.