LCD1602 with AtMega2560

Hello folks,

Finally success!! Just came home from work and tried uploading the code through Arduino ide with the following pins ( lcd(8, 9, 4, 5, 6, 7)) and it worked!! These were the same pin numbers that I was using when I tried uploading through Atmel Studio 6. So I am like what?? Why is it working when I upload using Arduino ide and why din't it work last night when I tried the same code through AS6.
Then I said ok, let me try uploading the same code using AS6, and voila! It worked.... So, now I am totally confused as to why it dint work last night and why is it working today....
1 possible explanation (which you guys can correct me if I am wrong) is that there seemed to be a very thin soldering metal on the route that connects the pin from my board to the "E" slot on the top side of the lcd board. I just removed it using my mailbox key. Is it possible that it was shorting something? I should have tried uploading the code before removing that soldering piece and that would have answered my question....But well....

Anyways.. I am happy that its working now, so I can continue with my project.
Thanks for your help!!