Hardware suggestions needed, new to Arduino

This is my first step into microcontrollers, and unfortunately I need to king of leap in with both feet. I'm a Senior at Purdue University working on my senior design project which we're building a robot with multiple functions. I have some background in controls, but I've only worked with a National Instrument CompactRIO with programs created in Labview.

I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in a direction for choosing hardware. The functions that I'd like to be able to have the system perform include:

Wireless control connection - either bluetooth or Wifi, what are the advantages/disadvantages?
2 rear DC drive motors - need speed and directional control for both motors
1 on/off motor - this control will just be an on/off which will probably be run to a relay to power the 24V motor that we currently have (it was free)
1 180 degree rotating motor or servo - this will be a turntable which just rotates 180 degrees and back. I looked at Futaba and Hitec servos but I'm not sure about the loading so I'd prefer using a geared motor.
audio interfacing - receive and transmit audio (like having a virtual presence through the robot)

Will I be able to control all of this through one Adruino? What board is suggested? Can you stack multiple shields on top of each other?

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated. I still have a lot to learn, but I'd like to start ordering parts soon so that I can start figuring out the coding.

I should have some CAD models to post later this week, but the robot is going to be used to get the mail and newspaper once it's done to give a little bit of an idea of scale and loading.

Yes, arduino should be able to do all that except for the audio, to which I don't quite know the answer. Could you just strap a two way radio on the robot? :grin:

Don't you want suggestions on sensors? The robot can't be blind muscles, right? I suggest ping sonic ranger and an IR distance sensor.

liudr:
Yes, arduino should be able to do all that except for the audio, to which I don't quite know the answer. Could you just strap a two way radio on the robot? :grin:

Don't you want suggestions on sensors? The robot can't be blind muscles, right? I suggest ping sonic ranger and an IR distance sensor.

We're planning on having it teleoperated. We originally considered automating it, but considering the time constraints and that we need to design both mechanics and controls of the system we decided it was best to keep it simple. The current idea is to use a Wifi supported security camera in order to see where the robot is driving, and the audio would aid in the virtual presence portion of the robot. The audio is probably our least concern since it's a secondary function that our professor insists on (as if running analysis and teaching yourself how to build a robot wasn't enough). I actually joking thought to myself about the two way radio, and it may end up coming down to that.

I'm mainly looking for suggestions on controllers, motors, and ideas on implementation. I'm planning on 12V motors as of right now, but I don't have anything picked. The entire system will probably weigh about 30-35 lbs, or at least that is the target, with a footprint of approximately 12"x18".