OpenMoCo Menu Manager - completely automated menus for Arduino

Hello,
I have downloaded this library to add a menu system to my project and when I went to compile the example I get the following errors:

example.ino:55:19: error: variable ‘sel_ign’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’
example.ino:56:19: error: variable ‘sel_on’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’
example.ino:57:19: error: variable ‘sel_off’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’
example.ino:59:30: error: variable ‘state_list’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’
example.ino:64:13: error: variable ‘state_select’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’
example.ino:69:12: error: variable ‘foo_value’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’
example.ino:70:12: error: variable ‘bar_value’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’
example.ino:71:12: error: variable ‘baz_value’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’
example.ino:72:12: error: variable ‘bak_value’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’
example.ino:73:12: error: variable ‘sel_value’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’
example.ino:76:11: error: variable ‘item_checkme’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’
example.ino:77:11: error: variable ‘item_barme’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’
example.ino:78:11: error: variable ‘item_bazme’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’
example.ino:79:11: error: variable ‘item_bakme’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’
example.ino:80:11: error: variable ‘item_state’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’
example.ino:81:11: error: variable ‘item_testme’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’
example.ino:84:21: error: variable ‘root_list’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’
example.ino:87:11: error: variable ‘menu_root’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’

In a search for a solution I found a page in the github issues section titled "port to newer avr-gcc" which seemed to be about the same issue I'm having, and it had patch files in one of the responses which I applied and the errors stayed the same.

I tried fiddling around with the library code to try and see if I could fix it myself but I only ended up causing more errors.

LINKS:
I got the OMMenuMgr Library HERE
the Github issue page "port to newer avr-gcc" is HERE

Any help would be greatly appreciated