Arduino Uno no USB connection after short

Hi everyone :wink:

I just got a new ATMEGA328P for my arduino Uno since I burned it due to a really bad short.

I managed to get another Uno from a friend, I successfully flashed a new bootloader and even got a blink sketch sent in by using ArduinoISP but still can't get it recognized from my pc - I suspect I may have fried the usb controller.

I had my arduino plugged into my notebook when the short happened and both arduino and my pc shut off.. Fortunately my pc restarted after 10m with no damage at all.

I can get power by plugging in the usb but can't get a single bit of data, there are no visible damaged components on the board and I even checked some resistors/capacitors but they are fine.

Is there some crucial components to be checked before having to get a new ATMEGA16U2?

I tried to read through the schematic but I really can't go further for both lack of time and knowledge, even for a simple board as this one.

I'm kinda attached to this board so I don't really want to trash it. :sweat_smile:

Sorry if there are some errors in the post.

Thanks for the replies :wink:

Sounds like you abused the power rails in a way that trashed the 16u2 - this is a common failure mode on official boards and clones using the 16u2 (the clones using other serial chips are significantly harder to damage). Unfortunately, replacing this part at home is not practical unless you have hot air rework equipment and the experience to use it - and usually if the 16u2 goes, at least one other part is taken with it (such as the opamp for the power switching circuit)

Ok, no problem I'm going to replace the 16U2 :wink: I just noticed that the chip heats up a bit while plugged on usb, it's definitely shorted inside.

What can I do to test the switching circuit?