Your latest purchase

GoForSmoke:
Arduino will run 8 MHz on 3.6V won't it?

The processor seems to run fine at 16 MHz / 3.3V (though I wouldn't use it under those conditions to control anything that could cause damage).

I think that a guy like you would also be interested in a book like this:
VS1053 / VSIDE / VSDSP Book - VSDSP Forum

Thanks.

Why not? I expect to wind up with some singles, I just can't hang onto to many for long.

At this point I am just testing waters.

GoForSmoke:

I looked at the module and I'm a bit puzzled. If I understand it correctly this module can play 20 minutes of audio from internal flash :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
That would be more than enough for most of my projects to give back audio feedback.
But this module has so many pins :astonished:? How many control pins from the Arduino would I need if I wanted to play <=255 files at arduino command?
What would I need to get the files in the flash?
If it would be less than 5 pins: I'm in for at least 20 of those at 5 euro each plus transport. :grin:

Best regards
Jantje

ps As the pins are not 5 volt tolerant some cheap bulk logic translators would make it a service deal XD

Jantje:

GoForSmoke:

I looked at the module and I'm a bit puzzled. If I understand it correctly this module can play 20 minutes of audio from internal flash :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
That would be more than enough for most of my projects to give back audio feedback.
But this module has so many pins :astonished:? How many control pins from the Arduino would I need if I wanted to play <=255 files at arduino command?
What would I need to get the files in the flash?
If it would be less than 5 pins: I'm in for at least 20 of those at 5 euro each plus transport. :grin:

Best regards
Jantje

ps As the pins are not 5 volt tolerant some cheap bulk logic translators would make it a service deal XD

You know more EE than I am ever likely to, but here goes:

From descriptions at VLSI Solutions (Finland, I find that delicious) these DSP chips incorporate microcontroller capability in themselves. That would explain need for pins?
MCU's? They don't need no stinking MCU's! (with no apologies to Mel Brooks)

There is also the multiple interfaces.

IIUC the site, you can copy SD card to internal flash and back.

For better answers, here is the site forum:
http://www.vsdsp-forum.com/phpbb/

Level shifters --- I bet there's more than I have noticed, the 74HCT4050 looks to be "bomb"(extra good):

http://dx.com/p/jy-mcu-5v-3v-iic-uart-spi-level-4-way-converter-module-adapter-178286

I found a dutch article where someone used it for a train. These modules are super cool.
You need an additional amplifier. The files can be selected in several ways (depends on the firmware) With a sd card that can hold files and a new firmware that looks pretty useful.
The Dutch guy stated the power of the amplifier caused issues he said the module is "sensitive"
Out of the box the firmware stops the playing sound when a new sound is requested. He changed the firmware so he could mix up to 4 sounds.
Yes I want some. you can count me in
Jantje

I just bought a lot of seven IV-16 numitron tubes on ebay. Looks like they were the very last available...

(Image from Tubehobby.)

They will serve as displays in my future streamline-styled (or so) weather station.

Assortment of resistors (5000) pack. 200 transistors (BC548/549 etc). A new arduino Mega, LCD keypad a DDS-60, 10 prototype shields a breadboard a 35 amp power supply (for ham radio not Arduino)
Except the power supply and DDS-60 all bought from China for less than $80

Adrian

purchased an NXP LPC1768 controller, it has the IDE in the cloud - see also www.mbed.org -

No particular project in mind, maybe port some of the Arduino libraries I posted on the playground when it is raining :wink:

robtillaart:
purchased an NXP LPC1768 controller, it has the IDE in the cloud - see also www.mbed.org -

No particular project in mind, maybe port some of the Arduino libraries I posted on the playground when it is raining :wink:

NXP doesn't sample. Why not stick with the good guys (Atmel). Samples, and very nice desktop development software.

I've gotten more samples/freebies out of NXP than I've gotten out of Atmel...
(usually as a result of special promotions or tradeshow seminars, but Atmel never struck me as one of the friendlier sites WRT sampling, either.)

NXP doesn't sample. Why not stick with the good guys (Atmel).

"Do not determine who are the good guys based on their free gifts", that's a lesson I teach to my daughters too :wink:

robtillaart:

NXP doesn't sample. Why not stick with the good guys (Atmel).

"Do not determine who are the good guys based on their free gifts", that's a lesson I teach to my daughters too :wink:

Reminds me of this story http://www.arunjain.com/jokes/Shit_-_A_Bird_Story.htm
copied for conveniance

A little bird was flying south for the winter. It was so cold; the bird froze up and fell to the ground in a large field. While it was lying there, a cow came by and dropped some dung on it. As the frozen bird lay there in the pile of cow dung, it began to realize how warm it was. The dung was actually thawing him out! He lay there all warm and happy, and soon began to sing for joy.

A passing cat heard the bird singing and came to investigate. Following the sound, the cat discovered the bird under the pile of cow dung, and promptly dug him out and ate him!

The morals of this story are:

Not everyone who drops shit on you is your enemy.
Not everyone who gets you out of shit is your friend.
And when you're in deep shit, keep your mouth shut!

LOL

westfw:
I've gotten more samples/freebies out of NXP than I've gotten out of Atmel...
(usually as a result of special promotions or tradeshow seminars, but Atmel never struck me as one of the friendlier sites WRT sampling, either.)

Just so happens, I asked for 6 ICs yesterday and they went out 2-day UPS about 2 hours after I requested them. I think they are perfectly friendly. Can't see how to get a sample out of NXP at all. You search that on their site, it takes you to a page that says if you are not already a direct customer of theirs with a purchase agreement, no samples for you.

Used to get freebies from Texas Instruments but they stopped giving stuff away

Adrian

I have these on order with some other stuff on free shipping:

Super Strong Rare-Earth RE Magnets (12mm x 1mm / 100-Pack)

Comes out to 16 and a half cents each.

adrianf:
Used to get freebies from Texas Instruments but they stopped giving stuff away

Adrian

You guys are having a lot more trouble than I am. I am not sure when this "stopped giving stuff away" happened. I just ordered from TI too. TI samples. You can find parts on their site that DigiKey sells for $100 in qty 1 that they will sample. I am trying out some motor drivers. I did a L298 by itself (bad idea, it does not limit current - good thing my power supply does! :sweat_smile:) and just did a L297/L298 and wanted to try out some more modern solutions. I got 3 each of DRV8432 and DRV8412 from TI and 5 each of AMIS30421C4211RG and AMIS30512C5122RG from ON. All it took was asking. On does add a $11 processing charge so it's best to fill the order, you can go as much as 7 items of 5 each without complaint.

Knobs, 15 different types of knobs for rotary encoders, aluminum knobs some smooth, anodized, some polished, some knurled. Different sizes :slight_smile:

150W PV panel, Morningstar MPPT charge controller, Exeltech inverter, 100Ah deep discharge AGM battery, Anderson Powerpoles + crimper, 10AWG zip cord.

Outfitting the RV to do a little boon docking in the Big Bend area in July.

10 IR receivers.

A lot of gizmoes are going to be controlled by the TV-remote and a really ugly remote from a BRIO toy train.

I simply have to make something outrageous that is controlled by the BRIO remote.