LCD 4x40, code doesn't work

Hi,

Since a couple weeks I am trying to get my LCD working (a HD44780 compatible 4x40). I don't know what I do wrong. I have wired it up correctly, but when I use (Enchanted) Liquid Crystal, it doesn't work. Not even with one enable-line (the normal library)...

I can adjust the contrast, and the backlight en power does work. With the new arduino IDE (1.0.3) I get a lot of errors that BYTE is not longer supported and that I have to use Serial.write() instead. I think I'm not the only one with this problem. Googling didn't help so far, so I ask you.

Do we/I need to rewrite the (Enchanted)Liquid Crystal library? Or where could I go wrong?

Hello,

i have the same problem with the datatype BYTE.
But in my code there byte is used like this:

byte myAttributeWhereICanWriteIn;

How should i change this with the method: serial.write()?

Greeze Joe

Since a couple weeks I am trying to get my LCD working (a HD44780 compatible 4x40).

If you want anything more than guesswork you will have to be more specific about which device you have.

For example you mention the use of 'Serial.write()' yet the HD44780 controller is a parallel device.

You also mention ' (Enchanted) Liquid Crystal' with no explanation of what this is or where you found it.

Don