Go Down

Topic: Graduating work - conclusion (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

andrija88

Dear All,

I am opening this specific topic to ask you for a little help on my Graduating work which is "Controlling a car with accelerometer via nRF24l01 wireless module". Everything seams good, and I managed to perform it, and its work fantastic. I managed to integrate accelerometer with one Arduino UNO board, read the information given from accelerometer and transmit it via nRF24l01 module to the other Arduino UNO board which control DC motor, servo motor and couple of LEDs.
Now, what I want from you is to help me to write the conclusion of my work. I described the functionality of this project and wrote some of the advantage of using Arduino board, but my professor told me to write down some of the disadvantage of this project.
Basically, I need some disadvantage of using Arduino board in general. What is the ARduino disadvantage over the standalone microcontroller, and stuff like that. What is the limitation of Arduino in this project, etc.
Please, if anyone have some answers, reply to this topic, everything is useful. I am a little bit of hurry, due to my Graduation deadline, which is in just a couple days. :)

Thanks in advance,

A

mrburnette

Jun 24, 2015, 01:01 am Last Edit: Jun 24, 2015, 01:06 am by mrburnette
A,

We (senior forum members) do not normally engage in answering questions directly pertaining to a school project; however, because you are in school and have no real-world experience, I going to help "just s bit."

To get you started, read:
This Link

Commercial products for automobiles utilize "automotive grade" semiconductors:
More Here  Does Arduino?

Q: With all the libraries and development tools you used: who owns the intellectual property.  You will need to understand this concept: Licenses

You already know that a "real" Arduino is mord than $20 USD, but the quantity parts total much, much less.  Hence we see many experimenters making bare board Arduinos. So, is Arduino a board brand or a software methodology or a language or a group of computer commands - or all of these things? (Or none?  One? Two? ...)

If an Arduino breaks and someone dies as a results, who is to blame.  Does "Arduino" even permit such use (or do they even prohibit it?)

That should be enough to finish your paper.  Good luck.

Ray

DrAzzy

there are two sides to that question....

Hardware - ie, do you use an Arduino board, a clone, or a bare-bones board (the bare-bones boards have some advantages....)

Software - ie, do you use the Arduino IDE to program it, or Atmel Studio. It shouldn't take you long to find posts here where people have to write "real" embedded C, with register references and such, instead of using stuff like analogWrite().

Although, at a more philosophical level, it's much the same tradeoff, just in two different arenas.
ATtiny core for 841+1634+828 and x313/x4/x5/x61/x7/x8 series Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts (some assembled), mosfets and awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

JimboZA

How about the range of the wireless transmission being a limitation, and is it messed around by any local interference? What about the car being in a radio "shadow" like in a parking basement? (Not sure if this is a real car or a model  :) )

Robustness of connections?- how did you secure the wires into the pins' holes?

Size of a Uno compared to the bare chip and or small purpose made boards?

Robustness of libraries?

Johannesburg hams call me: ZS6JMB on Highveld rep 145.7875 (-600 & 88.5 tone)
Dr Perry Cox: "Help me to help you, help me to help you...."
Your answer may already be here: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=384198.0

CrossRoads

Last page of '328P datasheet:
"Unless specifically provided otherwise, Atmel products are not suitable for, and shall not be used in, automotive applications."

Last page of
ATMEGA328P-15AZ, data sheet, rated to 125C:
"Unless specifically provided otherwise, Atmel products are not suitable for, and shall not be used in, automotive applications. Atmel products are not intended, authorized, or warranted for use as components in applications intended to support or sustain life.

SAFETY-CRITICAL, MILITARY, AND AUTOMOTIVE APPLICATIONS DISCLAIMER: Atmel products are not designed for and will not be used in connection with any applications where the failure of such products would reasonably be expected to result in significant personal injury or death ("Safety-Critical Applications") without an Atmel officer's specific written consent. Safety-Critical Applications include, without limitation, life support devices and systems, equipment or systems for the operation of nuclear facilities and weapons systems.

Atmel products are not designed nor intended for use in military or aerospace applications or environments unless specifically designated by Atmel as military-grade. Atmel products are not designed nor intended for use in automotive applications unless specifically designated by Atmel as automotive-grade."
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

CrossRoads

You'd have to select & control use of other parts used to also be rated for the harsher automotive environment.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up