USB monitor package to replace simple Arduino serial monitor

PaulS:

Something that I can set labels beside variables from the arduino.

Instead of having the Arduino send the labels? Why?

Consider me a beginner, even though I've played with C, C++, Basic, Fortran, and others in my distant past.

Why? With the knowledge I have all I get from the Arduino com port monitor is a scrolling mass of numbers.
I've poked around trying to find out how to format things so it's easier to read, with no success. In the 80's I used a piece of HP software that interfaced with RS485. It could be configured to format information in a nicer, human readable format. I figured 32 years later there would be something even better that would work with USB.

Google for this problem proved not to be my friend. At least with the keywords that entered my mind. So after no inspiration here I found firmata and Silverlight. So I installed a sample test project to allow my PC to access the Arduino Uno. After reading and watching videos I installed the firmata program, a serial port to socket thing a majib, and uploaded the example firmata sketch that came with the IDE. Everything went well til I tried to get the thing out of the Silverlight sandbox. Installed Visual Studio 2012
as instructed so I could change the project settings so the program could work outside the sandbox. That's where after 8 hours I decided I'd once again forgotten what it was I wanted to do, to start with. It's kind of funny after installing 8 gigs of Visual Studio just to change some settings I still am unable. hehehe I'll just go ahead and hook my LCD screen up to the Arduino and use it for the output I want to look at. At least I know how to do that. I was just trying to make use of a perfectly good PC screen in front of me and not eat several pins on the UNO. heheheh