RGB SMT LED Cube, resistors, drivers, and shift registers.

Mike, if you two want to fight, thats ok with me, but its not my interest., Im interesed in finding solutions, and some experimenting, and hopefully some learning and success.

I would like to know why something is a good idea, or a bad idea, so if you want to talk about what is good/bad about something and why, that is what im hoping to hear.

dhenry, Did you watch this video too, where he shows how he made them? I thought it was pretty impressive.
Im glad you like my shift registers, that is called piggybacking, its commonly used for building memory modules of different sizes, with one sized footprint.

I realized that it shouldnt matter if im using 5v or 3.3 on my other cube, since im syncing with the shift registers, they get 5 volts from the plane pin. I think i originally assumed you needed a resister on the anode side, not the cathode side, and I didtnt want to buy 16 resisters (they cost a quarter each locally...) So I made the cube common anode and used 4 resistors.

When I made the last cube, all the software I found was for common cathode, When I made this one, I made it CC, to avoid those problems.{fail}

Tom, wow 12cubed sounds awesome, is it RGB thats a heck of a lot of wires! and magnet wires has to be very difficult, I've soldered magnet wire, and its a pain in the butt to get the insulation off (I found tinning the end worked, but you have to burn alot of nasty insulation off, and its a lot of effort.

The wire Im using is 19 gauge galvanized wire (like bailing wire) for the anodes, and 24 gauge copper wire for the cathodes (since each LED requires 3 wires, I went with smaller gauge (less obtrusive, and the cube doesnt need that much structural support). I used the copper because I thought it would look good, and I could make the negative lines silver(color), and the positive lines copper)
The 19 gauge is good and stiff, it makes the cube fairly sturdy. Ive found that I spent a lot of time straightening the wire (it comes in rolls, but I want straight lines, and it takes a lot of effort to make the wire straight), I'd like to find straight wire, im considering welding/brazing rods.

Tell me about those TLC5951s and 5947s, im interested in finding PWM solutions for my common cathode cube. Its a 4x4x4, broken into 4 planes, I need to control 48 LED anodes (16 RBG), and 4 plane pins (cathodes). I could run the planes right from the arduino, or ??? The way i was originally planning on doing the matrix was with 4 Shift registers, 3 would control the cathodes, and 1 control the anodes. Now Im considering using 7 shift registers (6 for cathodes, 1 for anodes(1/2 really))

I dont understand the bit about decoders and p-ch mosfets, I did read something about someone hooking up a light strip that was CC, and they used something like that to make it work.

I did a lot of searching last night, and it looks like almost every RGB LED setup is CA, and I wasnt able to find any examples of CC RGB PWM LED drivers. Shift Registers are looking like a better approach right now.