Cheap way to connect an Arduino to a Android Smartphone via bluetooth

MichaelMeissner:

teckel:

trendski:
Hi teckel,

do you have any code examples of how to get this working with arduino and android?

cheers

It seems others have taken care of this for you. They're right, you just treat it like a standard serial connection. You need to be running some sort of app on the other end (like a terminal emulator on an Android). You could then expand that to a mobile app. I've only done Android apps, but I'm sure you could do the same with the iPhone/iPad.

Tim

From what I've read, iphone apps are a little bit more tricky, since the iphone bluetooth will only connect to bluetooth devices blessed by Apple, and in order to be blessed by Apple, the developer needs to pay a hefty fee to be licensed as an Apple developer.

In terms of Android apps, I just download the Bluetooth Controller App, which gives you 9 buttons that you can label, and these buttons will send a particular text message to your device. For my usage, that is sufficient, since I just want a simple replacement for an IR remote control, and it is a lot simpler than a chat program that you enter in text, and hit a send key. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=apps.BT&hl=en

Nice little app for simple testing. Thanks, it will help.

Tim