Go Down

Topic: DIY an Arduino M0 board (Read 892 times) previous topic - next topic

suraj022

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum here and also new to Arduino ecosystem.

I've been trying to make a minimal version of arduino m0 board which uses ATSAMD21G18  microcontroller.

I downloaded the reference design of M0 from arduino's page, And removed everything that was not necessary. I also cross checked with adafruit's feather M0 board and the schematics looks fine to me. So I etched the circuit on a pcb .. soldered all the components but it down't seem to work. The computer doesn't detect the board at all. And yes, I double checked all the connections on the pcb. and all is fine.

see the attachment for the schematics I came up with.

What are the things that could go wrong?

The arduino M0's page mentions that boot-loader is preburned by atmel so I'm guessing this is not a problem.

Is 3.3v the ABSOLUTE maximum for this mcu. because I supplied 3.9v through a li-ion battery.

What do you guys suggest? has anyone done it before?

bobcousins

Absolute max is 3.8V according to datasheet, so 3.9V is rather out of spec. I didn't see anything obviously wrong on the schematic.
Please ask questions in the forum so everyone can benefit. PM me for paid work.

westfw

What did you do to ensure that there is a bootloader on the chip, and that it is running?
Samd21 does not have a permanently loaded bootloader, and I'm not finding definitive information on whether it comes with the atmel bootloader pre-installed or not.  (and if it does, I'm pretty sure it's more complicated to get it to start than the arduino bootloader.)
No bootloader means it won't appear as a USB device.

bobcousins

Oh yeah, I missed that :) A bare SAMD21 chip does not come with a pre-programmed bootloader. You will need to load one via SWD with a programmer such as JLINK, Atmel-ICE or AT91SAM-ICE (cheapest option is JLINK-EDU if you qualify).

As a matter of habit, when designing any ARM board, I always put a 10 pin SWD header on there.

For a nice example of a SAMD21 board, have a look at Tau
Please ask questions in the forum so everyone can benefit. PM me for paid work.

Go Up