avrdude error

compiles blink fine, but when upload to I/O board i get:
Binary sketch size: 1108 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

this is on XP

Try the suggestions in the troubleshooting guide: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#toc2

yes i went through all the suggestions and to no avail

Can you give us some more information? :slight_smile:

Board Style?
OS?
Comport#?
Micro?

im on xp
com1
just got a new arduino Diecimila usb board from sparkfun :

"Board comes fully assembled and tested with ATMega168 pre-loaded with bootloader."

Hmm...

Is the power LED on? What does the L / pin 13 LED when you reset the board?

Is the jumper positioned for USB power?

Is there anything connected to the board?

Are you running any programs that might block access to the com port (e.g. firewalls, pda sync applications, etc.)?

Try setting upload.verbose to true in your preferences.txt file (in Documents and Settings//Application Data/Arduino) - make sure to edit the file when the Arduino software is not running. Then try uploading again and post the messages you get.

If you can, try it under Mac OS X.

when i connect the usb
the pwr light is on, i also connect an led from gnd to 13 and it blinks in rapid succession. when i reset the there are 3 distinct blinks then nothing for a while then it goes back to blinkning

currently nothing is connected to the board other than the usb and an led

jumper is position on usb

i dont have any firewall, or blocking programs, this is all thats running

verbose reads:

Using Port : COM1
Using Programmer : stk500v1
Overriding Baud Rate : 19200
avrdude: ser_open(): setting dtr
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: Send: Q [51] [20]
avrdude: Recv:

avrdude done. Thank you.

is that baud rate suspect?

Huh. Is there a built-in LED on pin 13? They didn't happen to send you an Arduino NG instead of a Diecimila, did they (i.e. what does it say on the board)?

i just put the led in myself to try and get "Blink",
it is a Diecimilia, says it right on board

hmm still no luck and im getting mails from people with the same problem wondering if i solved it :frowning:

obviously there is a connection problem, is there a way to see if there are any conflicts with other versions of dlls or previous software on this pc because i have done lots of dev on this machine.

Actually, I'm suspicious of the board itself, and in particular the bootloader on it. There should be an on-board LED. If you remove your LED, does the on-board LED blink in the same way that your LED did? What blinking do you see? Three quick flashes, then nothing for a few seconds, then three quick flashes again, and so on? Did your Arduino board come in a bag with an Arduino-shaped sticker on it?

ok well i cant recall an arduino sticker but it says "arduino diecimilia" on it and looks exactly like http://www.arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/ArduinoDiecimila400.jpg

y, there is an onboard led , a few.

when i plugin in the usb i get a constant light on from the pwr
and then there are several brief flahes on the TX and RX leds which then stop flashing
then on the L Led there are contant flashes that come in triplets and do not stop

when i press the reset button, the "L" led lights up three times in slightly longer succession then goes silent for about 15 secs and then changes to the rapid triplets identical to above.

when i put the led in grnd and 13 the blinks mimic the "L" led.

thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated

ere is an
so when i plug in the usb i get a couple flashes briefly

one more thing that i noticed is happening when i click upload to i/o board, the "L" light goes into a longer triplet , followed by a long 15 sec pause, then repeats into the fast triplets, my interpretation is the board is laughing at me.

my interpretation is the board is laughing at me.

The relay on my board screech's just before the LED's go out of sequence!

If it ever starts laughing at me, then I'll know it's time to take a vacation.

;D ;D ;D

It sounds like the board you got from SparkFun has the wrong bootloader on it (i.e. the NG one instead of the Diecimila one). While it sometimes works, it doesn't always. I'm not quite sure how it happened, since every Arduino Diecimila leaves Italy with the Diecimila bootloader and in a sealed bag. Did your board arrive in a small plastic / static bag?

compiles blink fine, but when upload to I/O board i get:
Binary sketch size: 1108 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)

this is on XP

Hi

I have the same problem. I have a arduino NG plus and I used it for like 4 months. last week I got this error :

Binary sketch size: 6378 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)

when i used a other computer the problem was gone. now after 3 days of programming the arduino has te same problem and i can't program the arduino anymore.

on the arduino is a program that controls 4 servo motors by commands from the serial port.
when i use hyper terminal the arduino programs works correct accept that the arduino sends no text back to hyper terminal.

this project has to be finisched the day after tomorrow and this is a big problem. now i will use my wiring board for this project.
but i need to solve this problem.

(problem computer: both P4Dual
WinXP SP2
2 arduino NG plus rev c.

greets arrens

yeahdixon: apparently we screwed up and put the old NG bootloader on some of the Diecimila boards. You'll need to press the reset button before uploading your sketch. Or you can burn the Diecimila bootloader, but you'll need an AVRISP mkII or other hardware programmer.

yeahdixon: apparently we screwed up and put the old NG bootloader on some of the Diecimila boards. You'll need to press the reset button before uploading your sketch. Or you can burn the Diecimila bootloader, but you'll need an AVRISP mkII or other hardware programmer.

If that is the solution...

I don't have a Diecimila board, i have a NG plus rev C. it has the same problem. I tried all my computers. and I still get the same error. when I use a older arduino programming environment v008. I get a error: no hardware found. this is a error that I had more sometimes.

but now the problem don't go away. even in hyper terminal the arduino sends nothing back, but it does receives data.
can i get a new chip for my arduino?

Yea, you can buy them from a few different places, PCB Europe, Adafruit industries, Modern Device company, etc.

Hi everybody!

This is the same error I am getting, but on a different setup. I am (for now...) running out of ideas as to what to try.

My board is an Arduino serial v2.0. I am experienced with electronics assembly and no problems putting it together, unless I am missing something invisible.

My main machine is a MDD G4 running OS 10.4.10. I've got a GeeThree serial port, so my dev is tty.serial. I have an old Dell workstation which I still use for x86-centric apps, so I put Arduino win 0009 on there. I made a parallel programmer out of an old Rat Shack RS232 tester which wasn't doing anything else, and used it to put the mega8 bootloader on the chip. Then I hook up my Arduino board to my mac, with a specially-made serial cable. The LED on pin 13 shows that the bootloader is installed, it keeps doing a quick succession of three blinks every so often. I put two more LEDs on there to monitor serial rx and tx. When I try uploading anything to the board I get that same error:

avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x00

The rx LED flashes so I know that my serial port and cable work at least this much, but I see no response from the board. I've tried both 9600 and 19200 baud over the past few days, with hundreds of funky timings between the reset and upload. I have yet to upload anything to my Arduino! As for my bootloader, it is the same AtMEGAboot.hex which comes with Arduino 0009, so I don't see how it could be mixed up. Any ideas what I should look for? Meanwhile I will try to dig up a regular 9-pin serial cable to see if my luck is any different on the Dell.

Thank you!
M

Can you upload a program to the board from Windows or Linux using just a serial cable (no usb-to-serial converters)? Some USB-to-serial (and possibly your GeeThree serial port) don't work with Arduino serial boards, presumably because they don't implement some particular feature in the way avrdude or libusb expects them too. In general, we've had the best luck with Keyspan adapters. Otherwise, you might connecting a USB-to-TTL serial adapter straight to pins 0 and 1 of the Arduino board.