Serial to LCD - How to display second line on 16 x 2

Here is the output from my 16x2 LCD

That is absolutely normal and is just as described in my earlier link.

I think i got the idea of how it can be done when sending data from my arduino. But when i am sending data from my serial port the thing get truncated. Anyways i will try this code in that as well and will post the result.

The information is not being truncated. It is being stored in the part of the LCD controller RAM that does not correspond to one of the visible locations on your display. The display RAM can accommodate 80 characters but your LCD can only display 32 of them. You would see all of the characters if you had a 40x2 or a 20x4 display although you wouldn't be happy with how they progress from one row to the next on the 20x4.

These displays were not designed to display long strings of information but that shortcoming can be handled by software. You might want to look into the LiquidCrystal440 library (now called LiquidCrystal1.0). It was written to handle 40x4 displays but I believe it also deals with the 'missing' characters on displays such as yours. Start here: Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

Don