DIY board setup problem

Alright, here's the deal. I've bought a couple Atmega328's and successfully bootloaded them with the Uno bootloader, I can tell because the they now load with the three-times flashing LED on pin13 upon powerup. I've set up all the grounds and Vcc's, 16MHz in the right spot with the right caps, power is filtered, everything is textbook assembled. I've installed the Enhanced IDE upon same failure with the standard and am now inclined to using it. I got a FT232RL programmer, specifically this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110955112158?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 and have wired it so that it provides 5V and Ground via USB and the programmers' Tx is connected to pin0 and the Rx to pin1, as I've read in the tutorial. In the device manager the USB to Serial device is recognized on COM7, which is what I've selected under "Serial port" in the IDE. Then I loaded the Blink sketch from the examples just to try out the connections. For the board, I've tried Uno, Duemilanove w/ 328P, Duemilanove w/ 328, basically any that has the Atmega328 labeled. And I always get the same response, avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 error message. After holding shift while uploading, I get avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb". Serial monitor shows nothing. I've tried pressing reset before uploading, and oh so many more supposed solutions from the internet, and am now stumped. I've done the loopback test and it returns everything, so I'm guessing serial communication is fine. But why I can't get anything to pass onto the chip is beyond me. This is my first time working with Arduino although I've worked with Atmega16's before, but I'm troubled why I can't load anything.

Anyone know what might be the problem? Any help is appreciated.

successfully bootloaded them with the Uno bootloader,
For the board, I've tried Uno, Duemilanove w/ 328P, Duemilanove w/ 328, basically any that has the Atmega328 labeled.

Only the UNO choice will work because the UNO bootloader uses a different baud rate from the earlier boards.

have wired it so that it provides 5V and Ground via USB and the programmers' Tx is connected to
pin0 and the Rx to pin1, as I've read in the tutorial.

Since you don't have DTR connected through a capacitor to Reset you will have to do a manual reset. Hold down the Reset button down, click on the sketch's upload button, and when you see the "Binary sketch size:" message appear, release the Reset button.

johnwasser:

successfully bootloaded them with the Uno bootloader,
For the board, I've tried Uno, Duemilanove w/ 328P, Duemilanove w/ 328, basically any that has the Atmega328 labeled.

Only the UNO choice will work because the UNO bootloader uses a different baud rate from the earlier boards.

have wired it so that it provides 5V and Ground via USB and the programmers' Tx is connected to
pin0 and the Rx to pin1, as I've read in the tutorial.

Since you don't have DTR connected through a capacitor to Reset you will have to do a manual reset. Hold down the Reset button down, click on the sketch's upload button, and when you see the "Binary sketch size:" message appear, release the Reset button.

I love you. I haven't seen this anywhere else that I've been searching, and it solved the issue. Nowhere have I read about the DTR pin, how large of a capacitor value should I use to between the DTR and the reset? Would 0,1uF be ok?

But now I'm concerned a bit about the different baud rate, could the Uno be set up to work at 31250 baud? I need it to send MIDI data amongst other things. Thank you so much for everything!

Stroboscapes:
Nowhere have I read about the DTR pin, how large of a capacitor value should I use to between the DTR and the reset? Would 0,1uF be ok?

Look at the UNO schematic. I think it's "100n" (100 nanoFarads) which is the same as 0.1 microFarad.

Stroboscapes:
But now I'm concerned a bit about the different baud rate, could the Uno be set up to work at 31250 baud? I need it to send MIDI data amongst other things. Thank you so much for everything!

Your sketch can set the baud rate to whatever you like.

Thought so, common sense somehow told me that 100n would be the go-to value.
I've seen some MIDI sketches where the baud rate gets set but I got a bit concerned that maybe it has to be a fixed value with the Uno. Glad to see it's not. Thank you so much, you've been a great help!