Error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 HELP

Board: Arduino Uno
Chip: Atmega328P-PU

Story:
Writing a program to control a 5 phase stepper motor, accidentally put +25v on Digital Pin 3 of the chip, which burned out the chip, shorting (to my knowledge) voltage to ground. After removing the chip and plugging the chip in, it enumerated fine. I ordered a couple of the Atmega328P-PU chips from digikey, which I received today. After putting the new chip onto the board, and attempting to upload my program to the chip I get the error "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00", and researching this error lead me to the fact that the chip requires a bootloader. After pouring over the internet for a bit, I went into the Arduino software, set the programmer as "Arduino as ISP" and clicked "Burn Bootloader". This also ended in the error "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00". Which is where I am at. I do not have access to a second Arduino board, nor do I have the pocket programmer. The Arduino powers on, and the ComPort show up where the Arduino Uno should show up, and there isn't a new ComPort where the other ComPorts are located.

Troubleshooting Process:
Matched ComPort #s - error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
Changed baud amount to chip default to attempt bootload - error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
Checked board type in software - error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
changed programmer type for bootload (from AVRISP mkII to Arduino as ISP) - error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
Attempted to burn bootload with AVRISP mkII - error: avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

Is there a way to burn the bootloader via USB, and which of the bootloaders is default for the Arduino Uno? (my research leads me to believe the default is optiboot/optiboot_atmega328.hex)
Has anyone else had a similar problem and have a solution?
Does anyone know of more troubleshooting techniques that I can do? (I have access to soldering equipment and extra resistors/capacitors)
Should I just get a new board?

You use teh Arduino board to program another chip that is off the board.The ArduinoISP works the best if loaded from Arduino-0.22 or -0.23. You need to connect Pin 10 on the Arduino board to Pin 1 (reset) on the chip to be programmed. Arduino11 to chip pin 16, Arduino 12 to chip17, Arduino 12 to chip 18, Arduino 13 to chip 19, Arduino 5V to chip 7 & 20, ArduinoGND to chip 8 & 22. You aslso need to connect a 120Ohm Resistor between Arduino5V and ArduinoReset. In Arduino-1.0 Under Tools/Programmer select ArduinoISP and then select Tools/BurnBootloader. When complete the chip should have the bootloader. This same setup is also usable for loading chips directly from AVRDude without a bootloader.

Thanks for the response, however, I do not have access to a second Arduino board. I have a burned out flash (Atmega328P-PU) and a few blank chips.

Hello all, I am running Windows 7, 64-bit Home Premium edition using an Arduino UNO SMD Edition board for my senior project. I had my arduino board connected via USB (COM3, as assigned by the computer) as well as having a 10 VDC power supply connected to it as well (since for my senior project I have to run the board independent of a computer). I was using the VIN input to power one half of my breadboard (to power a 6V DC hobby motor) and using the 5V input to power the other half (to power the logic chips that I have connected). It was working fine (I was just doing some preliminary checks on the logic chips and on the inputs and outputs to/from the board before I would connect the motor. While I was trying to compile my code and upload it (was working fine before). this error came out:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I've read all the previous Forums as well as the ones from the old Forum block but those all talk about previous versions of the Arduino. I've tried pressing (and also holding) the RESET button but nothing happens, and I've also tried pressing the RESET button right after the "Binary Sketch Size" thing shows up, and still nothing. I've also restarted the program, changed the Serial input to (COM1 and after to COM5) I've also tried uploading the program with the Programmer and it gives this error:

avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

The programmer I'm using is the AVRISP mkII. When I upload a program the only one that seems to respond from the 3 LED's that should light up is the RX. Ive tried tying the RX and TX pins together to see if that will work and the TX blinks with the RX but I get the same error. Is there a way to reset or to FIX this problem? or has the processor fried? I've ran out of things to do, I NEED HELP!!! It doesn't make sense to me, I didn't accidentally tie anything to the power pins or input and output pins and I made sure that the range of Voltage that the Arduino board can handle were proper. HELP? I would really appreciate it if someone could help me through this problem.

I'm having the same problem with a sparkfun arduino pro. I've gone through all the prescribed steps and changes. Time after time. I'm using a new FTDI serial board. The arduino has a sketch on it, and should already have a proper bootoader. In fact, I have been able to download to it in the recent past.

No matter what I try, same response .. Error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

What does that mean? Nobody seems to know. I hope someone can help. Its the ultimate in frustration :0 :0

It would be nice if someone with the necessary know-how would post - this problem seems to be occurring frequently. I am new to the Arduino so shouldn't really comment but I have 30 years experience troubleshooting software so do have some feel for things. One thing that stands out (for me) is that if you press reset and LED 13 doesn't blink, then the atmega is not sending a signal to it - which means no bootloader has been found - which means either the chip is fried, the bootloader is corrupted or the board is faulty (or possibly a combination).

I have the same problem - but two of us were merrily swapping wires etc on my breadboard - while the board was powered, and a 12v battery was also attached to the breadboard. So I suspect we sent 12v back to the Arduino and fried the chip. I wouldn't be surprised to find this is a major cause for most cases of this specific problem. A replacement chip is fortunately much cheaper than a new board.

ptool64ar:
I'm having the same problem with a sparkfun arduino pro. I've gone through all the prescribed steps and changes. Time after time. I'm using a new FTDI serial board. The arduino has a sketch on it, and should already have a proper bootoader. In fact, I have been able to download to it in the recent past.

No matter what I try, same response .. Error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

What does that mean? Nobody seems to know. I hope someone can help. Its the ultimate in frustration :0 :0

I did a Forum search for "Error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00". There are 31 pages containing that phrase. I would think that an answer might be found by examining those pages, and if not a specific answer, perhaps enough information to enable you to find a solution.

Good luck; it does seem to be a commonly reported problem.

Regards,
-__-

-__-:

ptool64ar:

I did a Forum search for "Error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00". There are 31 pages containing that phrase. I would think that an answer might be found by examining those pages, and if not a specific answer, perhaps enough information to enable you to find a solution.

Good luck; it does seem to be a commonly reported problem.

Regards,
-__-

I've done the look over on the forums, of the 31 pages they are either unsolved problems or the generic steps (checking com port, that type of thing). Similar thing when attempting to ask about burning a bootloader, there isn't a list of steps that I can find about burning a bootloader that does not require a second Arduino board.

stenti36:
I've done the look over on the forums, of the 31 pages they are either unsolved problems or the generic steps (checking com port, that type of thing). Similar thing when attempting to ask about burning a bootloader, there isn't a list of steps that I can find about burning a bootloader that does not require a second Arduino board.

You don't need another Arduino board, just any breadboard into which you can insert a blank chip and necessary support components (crystal, for example), then jumper accordingly from the source chip to the chip to be programmed.

Even easier is buying the chip with the bootloader already programmed.

Excuse me if I've misunderstood your comment.

Regards,
-__-

-__-:

stenti36:

You don't need another Arduino board, just any breadboard into which you can insert a blank chip and necessary support components (crystal, for example), then jumper accordingly from the source chip to the chip to be programmed.

Even easier is buying the chip with the bootloader already programmed.

Excuse me if I've misunderstood your comment.

Regards,
-__-

Sorry for the delayed response, but is it possible to do this with two blank chips? I've been having problems even programming the chip by bypassing the need for the bootloader (shift + upload), and I get the can't find usb error.

You use teh Arduino board to program another chip that is off the board.The ArduinoISP works the best if loaded from Arduino-0.22 or -0.23. You need to connect Pin 10 on the Arduino board to Pin 1 (reset) on the chip to be programmed. Arduino11 to chip pin 16, Arduino 12 to chip17, Arduino 12 to chip 18, Arduino 13 to chip 19, Arduino 5V to chip 7 & 20, ArduinoGND to chip 8 & 22. You aslso need to connect a 120Ohm Resistor between Arduino5V and ArduinoReset. In Arduino-1.0 Under Tools/Programmer select ArduinoISP and then select Tools/BurnBootloader. When complete the chip should have the bootloader. This same setup is also usable for loading chips directly from AVRDude without a bootloader

Thank for that info. I will do experiments to try this out. Can you post the site / link ?

If I can put the bootloader inside a blank chip, I will try again with a breadboard Aduino version, if work, I will make a "bootloader programer" using a ZIF socket for the blank chip.

Error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

31 pqges of complaints of this error, each of the 31 has given a "solutioun" that seems to solve the problem, but not always and not for everyone. When one has gone through all 31 "solutions" and the problem persists, THEN WHAT?

What is apparent:
Someone, somewhere engineered and programmed arduinos to recognize this problem. Whoever did, should know what causes it. (arduinoized chips didn't realize the problem on their own).
This 'error' isn't new, it has been occuring for several years, and the folks that came up with arduino and arduino programming have been completely mum. Did they program something that they themselves don't understnd? (A ridiculous question, isn't it?)

What is happenning:
The 'experts' are staying clear of the problem, and hoping that the 'amatuers' will stumble on a solution on their own.

@ptools64ar

Most of the time, when that message line appear, here the probable cause :

1. Wrong or bad Com link
  2. RX / TX wire wrong <-- on breadboard Arduino
  3. Bad chip --> a. No bootloader b. Chip damage