IDE 1.5.2 Crashes on Startup

I ordered a Due today, and decided to take a look at the IDE. I downloaded the 1.5.2 version onto a fresh XP machine along with JDK 7. The IDE crashes after showing the splash screen. All other crash reports were on version 1.5.1 or 1.5.1r2 and don't resolve this problem.

Are there any log files that might point me to the problem?

..there is still the known issue with 1.5.2 when you have BT module on (ie an usb dongle). It hangs for a while when started..

I had files for the ATTiny series of chips in a folder called "Hardware" in my sketches folder. It caused problems with 1.5.1 if I remember correctly.

Can you try to run the IDE from command line (to see if we can get a better stack-trace)?
Could you send your preferences.txt and a zip containing your 3rd party hardware folder?

I am not sure if this helps. But have had same problems with hardware folder with the Arbotix hardware which is used a lot on http://www.trossenrobotics.com/ robots using Robotis servos and the like. When I use their released version of the libraries/hardware it will crash the IDE. Over the last few days they have created a new fork of their stuff on Github that is supposed to address this. So you could always download both versions of their hardware folder from github.

Kurt

Quick update to previous post:

The changes that I see that was made by the Arbotix people include:

a) Change the Hardware folder layout. In particular it went from:
\hardware\arbotix\boards.txt
to:
\hardware\arbotix\avr\boards.txt

Everything that was in the Arbotix folder got moved down one level under Avr.

Also the boards.txt file changed a little as well:
That is lines that looked like:
arbotix.bootloader.path=atmega644p
arbotix.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_644P.hex

Changed to:
arbotix.bootloader.file=atmega644p/ATmegaBOOT_644P.hex

Also it looks they coppied the platform.txt file from the:
\hardware\arduino\avr
Into the \hardware\arbotix\avr\
folder...

So you might try some of the same changes to see if you can get the ATTiny to work...

Kurt

Thank you KurtE, I will have a look and see if I can make use of your information. I will post information if I am successful.