Go Down

Topic: Arduino and Python. Gaming controller with UNO (Read 104 times) previous topic - next topic

Zahran_Sajid

I am mainly a python programmer. I am planning on connecting an Arduino UNO and my computer. My plan is that I will connect another UNO through RF and send signals to my computer through it. The second uno will have a few buttons on it. This is basically for it to act as a gaming controller. I have a few doubts on this project.
1.Is is feasible? i.e is there a better way to do it (with Arduino)
2.Whether to use plain serial messages or use a protocol like Firmata?
3.Is RF or Bluetooth better? (I've had trouble with the VirtualWire Library)
4.Instead of the second Arduino should I use a phone or something?

I would really apprecite it if y'all could answer these questions. And, as always, suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Robin2

May 16, 2017, 08:45 pm Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:46 pm by Robin2
This Python - Arduino demo may help. See also the more recent Serial Input Basics

If you are considering using nRF24L01+ wireless transceiver modules this Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial may be of interest. The modules are cheap and work well.

Bluetooth is just another form of wireless (RF) comms. It is effectively "serial by wireless". I believe the range is shorter than the nRF24s and it only works 1 to 1 whereas the nRF24 can work 1 to many or many to many.. If the range is suitable Bluetooth may be easier to implement. It also has the advantage that most PCs include Bluetooth.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Zahran_Sajid

Thanks a lot Robin2! I really appreciate the help!

Go Up