hows the due?

How is the due? Im savin up to get one asap, is it as cool as I hoped? Lol, like how does the ide handle it and everything, is there a alot to handle getting started?

There is a Due forum - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,87.0.html.

is it as cool as I hoped?

How cool were you hoping for? So far, I'd say probably not.

I don't have one but I can tell you that I'll never buy one either. I recently got an STM32F4 Discovery for 12 dollars and it seems to be better in almost all ways. It's far cheaper, it has 192k of RAM, same amount of ROM, it runs at double the clock speed of the Due and the board has various things on it (a DAC, a mic, an accelerometor, and a usb host port). Every single pin on microcontroll er is broken out into male header pins. The only thing I can complain about is that the pins are broken out in a random order (they're not grouped into ports).

do you have a link to the STM32F4 Discovery for 12 dollars ?
so we can compare too

http://www.mouser.com/new/stmicroelectronics/stm32F4discovery/

Mouser has it for $15

Hi

Am I right in thinking the Due is a replacement for the Mega in the same way as the Uno superseded the Duemilanove? Or is there a reason you'd buy the Mega still? I've not had reason to grab a mega nor Due but can see a place for the more capable boards even with cheaper dev boards around. The common IDE being the main one, especially for kids learning.

The limitation that stopped me running out and grabbing one is the inability to move to a standalone processor as easy as we can by developing on the Arduino with ATmega. Being able to use ATtiny or ATmega chippies simply removes the cost barrier from having a go at all manner of projects for me.

Having said all that, we already have a Raspberry Pi for every TV in the house...with a "need" for two more that we've identified...so whichever fits the task best works for me. It sure is exciting to have all this choice.
Geoff

I won't be getting one in the immediate future. As a prototyping platform I use a few 5 volt peripherals so the 3.3 volt limitation is just that, a limitation.

is there a reason you'd buy the Mega still?

Many. See the discussions of Due both pre- and post- actual release.
Here are a few:

Higher current I/O.
5V I/O.
More certain shield compatibility (because of the two above.)
More certain software compatibility.

On the plus side, Due has more RAM, runs significantly faster, has USB host capability, and is somewhat cheaper.

bobthebanana:
I don't have one but I can tell you that I'll never buy one either. I recently got an STM32F4 Discovery for 12 dollars and it seems to be better in almost all ways. It's far cheaper, it has 192k of RAM, same amount of ROM, it runs at double the clock speed of the Due and the board has various things on it (a DAC, a mic, an accelerometor, and a usb host port). Every single pin on microcontroll er is broken out into male header pins. The only thing I can complain about is that the pins are broken out in a random order (they're not grouped into ports).

The Due has 2 DAC's and a USB host port just like the STM32F4. Note, for those people doing floating point, the STM32F4 does have hardware floating point, unlike the Due or Teensy 3.0 chips.

@KeithRB
How are your experiences with the development SW of the STM32F4 Discovery?

Never used one, I just googled the link. 8^)
That was actually my main question, "Is the toolchain as friendly as the Arduino IDE?"

robtillaart:
@KeithRB
How are your experiences with the development SW of the STM32F4 Discovery?

Its hard at first but once you get the basics its quite straightforward

See here

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,106477.0.html

I personally love the STM32F4 and I cant see me ever going back to an Arduino

Resinator:
I personally love the STM32F4 and I cant see me ever going back to an Arduino

So are you using the "lite" (free, but limited code size, no C++) or the "pro" ($2.6K, but uncrippled) version of Atollic?

$2.6K !!

No bloody wonder they don't have the price on their web site. And the Lite version is brain dead.

I asked about this the another thread, so far no answer but at that price it's not even something to think about. I'm still mulling over $256 for the Code Red C++ compiler.

Rob

pico:
"pro" ($2.6K, but uncrippled) version of Atollic?

Unless that's for some sort of 10+ multi-seat license I don't understand how they can (ethically) justify that price! :astonished: