whats with the attitude

UnoDueTre:
@westfw

You forgot:

2 to write a lengthy explanation as to why the OP should be using LEDs rather than lamps/bulbs which will never require changing.

:slight_smile:

+1.

(heh.)

Hi,could you post a picture of your lamp changing project, and a CAD or picture of a hand drawn circuit, thanks .
Also any occupational hazard and safety issues.
Environmental Impact Statement.(theres an old term)

There happy..LOL...
Tom...... :slight_smile:

Although part of this post was in fact inspired by my recent interaction with a mod, I wasn't referring to it as an example. I got my answers and did an independent study on the matter. to which I found the solution was as simple as adding a diode to prevent any current leakage. I was half correct and so was the moderator. I'll be posting there shortly when I gather all the proof, since I know people will want to see it.

As for Grumpy Mike trying to prove a point by searching for the mentioned post that was used as an example. That post more then likely had been cleaned. which would explain why it is not searchable. I'll admit that when things do get shaky in a thread there are mods who can be quick to prune back the unwanted stuff. Also, no need to be so defensive.

In hind site, i guess this forum acts more like a 3rd party fan site forum rather then a company support forum in that most helpers are not paid representatives of the manufacturer. I was holding my expectations to that level to begin with since this is arduino.cc

I personally use a lot of patience and tact when I'm dealing with things from a help desk perspective since I worked in the IT field for 2 years before moving into networking and electrical. I do not have any respect for name calling though and that usually is a trigger for me, I have no problem dragging someone down a few pegs for that.

In hind site sight 8), i guess this forum acts more like a 3rd party fan site forum rather then a company support forum

I'd go for:

this forum acts more like is a 3rd party fan site forum rather then a company support forum

What might be confusing is that at the moment the link to the forum is off the support tab. This has been acknowledged as a mistake and we are told it will be corrected "soon".

Mind you soon is not so short as to allow you to hold your breath, more like a baby is due soon after conception.

Grumpy_Mike:
Mind you soon is not so short as to allow you to hold your breath, more like a baby is due soon after conception.

Elephant baby that is.

Jantje:

Grumpy_Mike:

Elephant baby that is.

Given some of the long-standing "bugs" in the docs and other areas of the site, that have been here at least as long as I've been around here...

...let's call it what it is - a "lithopedion" whose "birth" may or may not ever happen...

I remember the original thread when it was first posted. The only name-calling I saw was when the OP called someone who was trying to answer the question a d-bag, and told them to leave the forum. That looked like attitude.

Well I will give you an example of attitude:-

This person started two threads on the same topic and refused to put his code into code tags.
So then he started a third thread on the same topic, all in the space of a few hours.
The moderators then merged the three threads into one.
You will see some understandable attitude from me and although close there is no ( in my opinion ) derogatory language, but I am tempted.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=210597.msg1546376#msg1546376

I've seen name-calling and been called names, but not by any moderators.

Stick around :wink:

It's a self regulating fan site, without the fans the product would not exist

As has been pointed out, this forum is on the Arduino.cc domain and linked under the support tab. That about sums it up for me. Its not like I'm going to a separate forum at a different domain not hosted by the manufacturer of the product. so lets be clear about that.

As far as name calling and rude behavior from mods. its obvious that some of the things I have seen have not stuck. (meaning they were edited or deleted) which is fine.

Point being, If you are a moderator or not, a professional demeanor should always be kept (in my opinion) so long as this forum is linked to support for any of the arduino products.

this forum is on the Arduino.cc domain and linked under the support tab

No-one asked me if that was OK.

You mean you didn't get the memo?

I don't care ... you get the service you pay for!

Here we go again. OK, it's pretty simple:

1. Be nice and respectful when you ask questions. Ask those questions clearly.
  2. When someone asks you for more info, either provide it, or accept that they may not stick around to guess.
  3. Try to do a little research ahead of time, since many (most?) of the questions are repeats, if not frequent repeats.
  4. If you have trouble with something, or something isn't clear to you, it's OK to be frustrated, but don't hold that against others here, or the Arduino itself. Trust me. The product works pretty darn well. If it doesn't, it's either broken (hey, it happens sometimes), or it's you (which happens to everyone).
  5. Post your code (with code tags!). Post schematics. If it helps, post a picture of your circuit. Make sure those images are reasonably sized.

If you do those simple, obvious things, most of the moderators will be very kind to you, and you will probably get plenty of help. Some folks are exceptions, and well... that's life. People are people. If you don't get all the help you wanted, well... that's also life. Maybe your question was too complex and no one knows where to start. Try to to simplify the problem to its absolute minimum and see if that gets more bites.

If that's not good enough for you, spend your time learning electronics and programming until you ARE the resident expert, then come back here and be the change you want to see.

I would like to point out that if the OP has worked two years in IT support, he should have some experience with paid support and how much it may cost. For a $30 hardware, I wouldn't expect much forum support even if everyone here is paid support. I have been on the receiving end of many tech and sometimes it supports. I usually do phone calls although sometimes forum posts are useful. Not everyone I talked to deserves golden stars. Once in a while a good support makes my day. Now that you know this is not paid support, you treat everyone here same as you. You share frustrations with many and dont lash out and dont point fingers. Everybody has day jobs and school work, or simply could use a cup of tea instead of helping out.

I dont agree with cjdelphi's remark about getting what you pay for. I think I am getting way more than I pay for.

SirNickity:
5) Post your code (with code tags!). Post schematics. If it helps, post a picture of your circuit. Make sure those images are reasonably sized.

I want to emphasize something here on this "step".

When you post code and/or schematics (and apologies for shouting): POST YOUR OWN CODE AND YOUR OWN SCHEMATICS THAT GO WITH THE CODE.

If the code and/or schematics aren't your own - put that in your comments and where you got them from. I have no problem with someone posting someone else's code and/or schematics if they are confused about something and they haven't gotten any help from the author (provided they contacted them - if they are still around) - but it only seems fair that you give this information, since it may help us to help you, and it also is fair to the author.

Also - if the code isn't for the schematics (or vice-versa) - please indicate that; I hate seeing people post code that has nothing to do with the schematics, then asking help for either, when it is clear that they don't have a clue that neither goes with the other (nor do they seem to understand this beforehand). Worse is when they post such code or schematics, and never bother to tell where they got it from (and seem to indicate that the code is theirs - most of the time this is just a quirk of translation, though).

Honestly - I prefer to see code and schematics that go together and that were rendered by the author of the post, even if both are wildly wrong; it at least shows some initiative and willingness to learn.

But ... please "cut & paste" your code, or attach a file, rather than re-typing "approximately" what you did. I've seen a lot of conversations derailed by errors in transcriptions: "here's my code", "x is wrong!", "oh, that's correct in the actual sketch!"... So... how is one supposed to help? (And it's particularly annoying.)

Also ... post updates of your code as you incorporate advice. There is little more useless than a follow-up comment of "I did all that and it's still not working." You don't know which advice has been taken, or whether it was done correctly, or what the code looks like now...