Open source Project / Hardware

hey kuk

yes of course production involves $ :slight_smile:

But Libelium did their own production, and I was told that they paid to use the Arduino name.
Their circuit is only a few connectors and about five other components: it's really, really simple. So basically it looks as if they paid for licensing the name.

We've discovered in this thread that there have been some secrets kept about how the Arduino project works, so I hope people don't mind me asking a LOT of questions this time around. If the plan is going to be that poeple can use the name under license $, then the terms have to be clear.

For a long time the project has led people to believe that they were participating in truly open hardware development. Now that we have understood that this isn't the case- i.e that some things we have supported with the understanding that they were open aren't really open- the ethical thing to do from now on is to make things explicitly clear.

You know, if you are going to take contributions and hard work form hundreds of people, you owe it to those people to be explicitly clear about how you will use their efforts. So far this has not been the case.

D