Go Down

Topic: What is your go-to PCB layout/designer? Why? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

holesflow

Experts,

I'm at the point where I'll be doing PCBs & laying out my circuits, and I've of course found deciding on one impossible on my own. I'm quite interested in which you use (if pay, would like <$50), and if possible why.
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.
"If you drop it and it breaks, it was good." ~ Mr. William Lehr, my Electronics VoTech Teacher, on testing vacuum tubes. RIP

PaulRB

May 17, 2018, 11:00 pm Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:47 pm by PaulRB
Eagle. By Cadsoft, now owned by Autodesk. Free to use, for smaller board sizes. Not the easiest app in the world to learn.

Why? It works. Its got a big user base, lots of component libraries.

I started out using Fritzing, when that product was not very mature. It was a little buggy, limited range of component libraries, but most importantly, back then, you could only use Fritzing's PCB fabrication service. Eagle had none of those restrictions.

larryd

May 17, 2018, 11:38 pm Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:40 pm by larryd
I think there are still free, downloadable, WinQcad versions available (limited board size).
Been using it for ~13 years, easy to use, powerful features.
No longer being updated.

Eagle is popular here.

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

DrAzzy

ATtiny core for 841+1634+828 and x313/x4/x5/x61/x7/x8 series Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts (some assembled), mosfets and awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

PaulRB

Forgot to say: both Eagle and Fritzing run on Linux. I don't use Windows these days and don't want to go back.

pert

I'm far from expert, but KiCad should definitely be mentioned here. Unlike Eagle, KiCad is free open source with no limitations. Eagle has long been the most popular program for hobbyists but KiCad has become increasingly popular over the last few years and I think it's safe to say that Eagle and KiCad are now the two most popular options.

ted

wvmarle

KiCAD works great for me (haven't tried the others).
Managing component libraries is a b!tch in KiCAD, though once you've got that set up it works just fine.

Libraries are pretty complete, most of the footprints I have been adding myself are for parts on breakout boards, for building perfboard based prototypes (using KiCAD for that as well: through-hole footprints and a grid of 0.1", add "traces" as you connect components to keep track of what's done and what's left unconnected).
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

Qdeathstar

eagle is free still? I thought autodesk made it subscription based....
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

wvmarle

Sparkfun and Adafruit use it for their free and open designs - it wouldn't make sense to use non-free software for that, especially if there are free alternatives out there.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

PaulRB

Eagle is still free (at the moment) but Autodesk want you to (force you to?) register and log in each time you use it.

ElCaron

Eagle is commercial software with notable limitations in the free version and in the choking grip of Autodesk with questionable future.

KiCAD is FOSS, already on par with eagke and on a step rising edge with CERN behond it, upcoming version 5, Digikey's libraries...
I recommend to start with the v5 RC.

I would go so far and call Eagle for a beginner bad advice now.

Southpark

I might give KiCAD a go.
Eagle is ok, after one gets used to it --- which is pretty much the same with everything.
Some good scripts for g-code conversion for circuit board milling are available for eagle .... or works with eagle.

I assume that there will be similar scripts for KiCAD, right? Will try it out anyway.

gmcmurry

May 19, 2018, 06:12 am Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 03:49 pm by gmcmurry
Since you had to ask, you must not have any experience making PCBs.

Therefore, I would suggest you take a look at ExpressPCB.com.  Great for beginners.

Software is free and they give you schematic drawing software with the PCB software.

When you are finished, you just click on a button, enter your credit card and in a few days the boards show up.

They have a fast proto board service that I use all the time.  Comes with silk screen and solder mask on three 3.75"X2.5" boards for $85 including CA tax and shipping.  (they are in CA)

The only restriction is that the files are not compatible with other systems.  Sometimes I regret getting started with them because I think I might want to make 200 boards and use some other company to build the boards.  Truth is, I have never needed to and I'vd made over 100 boards with them.

You can get just about any size board you need, but the "mini board" service can save you a bunch of $$ when making small projects.  I have made boards 1/2 the size by putting two of them on one mini board then cutting them in half myself.  Then I get 6 boards for $85

They are worth a look.

Greg

airzone

I use easyeda.com and do it all online. If you're getting small (10cm x 10cm) boards, they're cheap (10 for $5) and also have a bom service. I wouldn't do it for any commercial work, but just for playing around at home, you can do the design and a week later have the PCB's and parts on your door step.

Go Up