Arduino UNO hang and can't be programmed anymore

Hi,
I was playing with a sketch that takes readings from I2C magnetometer and printing them to serial.
At some point it stopped sending data back. Resetting the board didn't solve the problem.
Since then any attempts to upload program lead to "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding".
Power LED is always on, and RX blinks when upload attempt starts.
I tried loopback test and it looks fine so usb to serial correctly.
5V and 3.3V seem to be ok on respective outputs.
L LED doesn't blink after reset and looks to be in input mode (dim light).
Checked that correct board/tty is chosen in the menu.

What are my investigation options? Should i try getting another board and burning a bootloader or something could still be done without additional hardware?

Regards
Oleg

I'm having that same error message when programming in linux

In windows, I get "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00"

The L light is always on, and the reset button doesn't make the led react.

I think the board may be broken...

aliher:
Hi,
I was playing with a sketch that takes readings from I2C magnetometer and printing them to serial.
At some point it stopped sending data back. Resetting the board didn't solve the problem.
Since then any attempts to upload program lead to "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding".
Power LED is always on, and RX blinks when upload attempt starts.
I tried loopback test and it looks fine so usb to serial correctly.
5V and 3.3V seem to be ok on respective outputs.
L LED doesn't blink after reset and looks to be in input mode (dim light).
Checked that correct board/tty is chosen in the menu.

What are my investigation options? Should i try getting another board and burning a bootloader or something could still be done without additional hardware?

Regards
Oleg

I would suggest first to just purchase a replacement 328P chip with Uno bootloader already installed in it, should cost less then $6 or so and is always useful as a spare or use in a standalone circuit. If installing the new chip solves the problem then you can take steps to see if you can do something with the original chip such as trying to reburning the bootloader.

Lefty

That would probably be a cheapest option. :slight_smile: I ordered two replacement microcontrollers with bootloader burned in following your advice. Will write if that helped or not as soon as they arrive.

I replaced microcontroller with another one with right boot loader, but the behaviour is still the same. Serial works ok, but led doesn't blink on reset and program can't be uploaded.

What can i check next to put some life in it? Or should i forget about it and get a new board...

Is there anything connected to the board?

It had some shields attached at the time where it stopped working, but I disconnected them and take pcb out of the chassis. So its sitting bare with just usb lead attached.

Perhaps there is a broken trace or bad solder joint on the board. Have you checked connectivity between the FTDI chip and the 328? Also check the reset circuit.

I've tried to check reset/serial circuits on the board with the minimum of equipment i have and they at least look connected. It is an official board and quality wise looks fair. Still no any progress with that. I'll put it in a drawer till i get an access to an oscilloscope. :frowning: A chinese replacement is on a way while.