Sensor -> Arduino -> Smartphone

Hello guys!

My project is the following: a sensor sends information to an Arduino board, and this sends information to my smartphone (Android), via Bluetooth.
In order to implement this, what hardware do I need? Just an Arduino Bluetooth, or something else?

Thank you!

hey thats similiar to the project im just starting, i have an arduino mega and a blue tooth mate silver, i have only started still waiting on parts etc but i got the arduino taking serial commands over the bluetooth pretty easily,
as far as i know the arduino bluetooth has less analog outputs so that might be a factor in ur project i know it was in mine,

tv,

Hey, that's interesting!

I was just wondering about the (too high) price of Arduino Bluetooth....So, I can reach my goal with another Arduino + Bluetooth Mate Silver Module....This solution would be cheaper. That's right? Are there other options (that is, other Bluetooth modules) I can consider?

Yes,

There are Bluesmirf (Sparkfun) modules that work ok and a load of very similar and much cheaper equivalents on eBay. The modules seem to be something of a standard. Make sure they are on a base board though. Some have tiny-tiny surface mount connections that are a pain to solder and you have to do your own level conversion from 5 to 3V. Look for ones that look just like a Bluesmirf.

I have had two of these cheap modules from eBay and both worked fine. I seem to remember they were about $10.

When you come to look at the software side, have a look at Amarino - Android / bluetooth link. I discovered it too late for my project so I haven't tried it, but if you get complex, it may save you some time.

http://www.amarino-toolkit.net/

Thanks a lot, Si :slight_smile: Amarino will be very very helpful in my project :wink:

Last question: can you suggest me some specific Arduino board and Bluetooth module which would work properly for my project? I have not bought anything yet, so any opinion is useful :slight_smile:

An Arduino Uno, is kind of the standard, and most easy to use board.

If you want to play it safe, then just get a bluesmirf. Otherwise I got something like this on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Smart-Bluetooth-Module-Shield-/280568773527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415333bb97#ht_6477wt_1141

It was a bit more expensive than I remebered, but $23 is not bad.

Sorry, I have another doubt...

In my project, sensors would communicate with Arduino through Zigbee. But in order to do that, I would need an Xbee Module on my Arduino board, right? Here's my doubt: is possible to have, on the same Arduino board, both Xbee and Bluetooth modules working together?

I had a look on Arduino BT specifications, and I read:

"The Arduino BT has a number of other facilities for communicating. The ATmega168's UART TTL (5V) serial communication is available on digital pins 0 (RX) and 1 (TX) as well as being connected to the WT11 module."

Help me to understand: this means that I could attach an Xbee Shield on this board (via digital pins 0 and 1)? So the task I need (receiving data from sensors by Zigbee and sending them to smartphone by Bluetooth) would be feasible?

tvisdead:
hey thats similiar to the project im just starting, i have an arduino mega and a blue tooth mate silver, i have only started still waiting on parts etc but i got the arduino taking serial commands over the bluetooth pretty easily,
as far as i know the arduino bluetooth has less analog outputs so that might be a factor in ur project i know it was in mine,

tv,

Sorry, tv.... I am wondering if is possible to connect Sparkfun Bluetooth Mate Silver to an Arduino Mega....Can you confirm it to me?
I have this doubt because on Sparkfun site there is written that this module can be attached to "Arduino Pro"....And what about Mega?
If the answer is yes, there are some connectors needed, or it just needs to be plugged in the board?

Thanks

Hi,

Not sure if you made any progress with your project, but if it helps I just got an Android Uno wired to a Bluetooth Mate Silver modem board talking to an Android based cell phone.
I detailed my efforts at http://www.darfieldearthship.com/2011/05/my-first-project-talking-to-a-bluetooth-enabled-arduino-uno.html.

The reason I am posting is to figure out what work has been done to build a communication environment between two bluetooth enabled devices; one being an Android cell phone and the other being an Uno. It looks like Amarino is one option and I am going to investigate it.

I am wondering if any work has been done on something like an XML stack that would allow two devices to transfer and interpret XML based packets. This seems like a great way to pass back and forth instructions and responses. Does anybody know anything about something like this?

Chris