Go Down

Topic: Standalone serial transmission without arduino (Read 254 times) previous topic - next topic

Amrut

Apr 15, 2017, 09:43 am Last Edit: Apr 15, 2017, 09:53 am by Amrut
Hello Guys,

I am building a remote control system, in which the receiver is an arduino and all of receiver part function is controlled by it.
In transmitter part, I want to transmit an 8-bit  decoder parallel output Serially in a TX-RX channel. I can use a PISO (parallel-in-serial-out) register to convert them in serial data and another arduino to transmit the data in a baud rate of 9600bps.

My question is how can I use a UART IC (PC1655D ) to send the data instead of using an arduino.

datasheet :http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pc16550d.pdf

westfw

What "system" is your 16550 on?  That's a standard PC-class UART and you usually access it with filesystem calls from the operating system.  (Using shift registers would be difficult; you'd need extra bits to handle the start and stop bits.)
(The 16550 is also a process-oriented uart, so it's not well-suited to just connecting up to 8 digitial outputs from some other device; you need a processor in there.  I think you can still get A HD-6402 standalone UART, which might be closer to what you had in mind...  (but you'll also need a clock))

(Heh.  my first project after I graduated from college used two 6402 uarts (from Jameco, even!) to convert 6bit 150bps  (?) newswire data to 8bit 300bps data that our mainframe could understand.   1981...  Good times!)

Amrut

Apr 17, 2017, 02:35 pm Last Edit: Apr 17, 2017, 02:40 pm by Amrut
 I was wondering why aren't there many DIP UART ICs. Now I know that most of them are process oriented i.e. used along with Processors.
The 6404 ic is also an uart  (40 pins and I dont need reciver part).

I thought of using  Encoder and decoder pair HT12E and HT12D, but i dont know how to implement 8 bit data with two start and stop bits. (about parity, i am not sure).

Is there any way to use encoder and decoders?
( for minimal circuit and like uart standard serial transmission)

westfw

I was wondering why aren't there many DIP UART ICs.
Also...  These days a microcontroller is cheaper and easier to use.  You could stick another Arduino at the transmitter, and easily transmit up to 18 bits of parallel data over its uart.  A Nano clone, or a "bare" ATmegaxx8 is probably smaller, cheaper, and easier to wire than one of the old 40pin UARTs and associated circuitry.

Go Up