PWM Question

This is the code I used for driving PC fans on a Uno. Use this code in setup:

// Only timer/counter 1 is free because TC0 is used for system timekeeping (i.e. millis() function),
  // and TC2 is used for our 1-millisecond tick. TC1 controls the PWM on Arduino pins 9 and 10.
  // However, we can only get PWM on pin 10 (controlled by OCR1B) because we are using OCR1A to define the TOP value.
  // Using a prescaler of 8 and a TOP value of 80 gives us a frequency of 16000/(8 * 80) = 25KHz exactly.
  TCCR1A = (1 << COM1B1) | (1 << COM1B0) | (1 << WGM11) | (1 << WGM10);  // OC1A (pin 9) disconnected, OC1B (pin 10) = inverted fast PWM  

OCR1AH = 0;
  OCR1AL = 79;  // TOP = 79
  TCCR1B = (1 << WGM13) | (1 << WGM12) | (1 << CS11);  // TOP = OCR0A, prescaler = 8

OCR1BH = 0;
  OCR1BL = 80;  // max fan speed (i.e. pin 5 initially low all the time)  

TCNT1H = 0;
  TCNT1L = 0;

Call this code to set the speed:

// Set the fan speed
void setTransistorFanSpeed(uint8_t fanPercent)
{
  OCR1BH = 0;
  OCR1BL = (fanPercent * 80u)/100;
}

PC PWM fans are designed to be driven from an open collector or open drain output, so I drive them from the Arduino pin using an NPN transistor, or 2N7000 mosfet, or an opto isolator if I need isolation. It's safest to use a separate transistor to drive each fan, although the PWM fans I have bought come with cables that just connect the PWM input in parallel with the one for the CPU fan.