Animal detecting Sensors for Arduino?

Hi there.

I was wondering if there are any Animal Detecting Sensors available for Arduino? I have googled for it but couldnt find any good results.

Suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

No not as such.
You can get movement sensors like PIR sensors used in intruder alarms however.

Movement sensors will get activated with human intrusion as well. I want sensors that can detect animal intrusion only and should be immune to Humans.

Then I think it is impossible.

Thats sad.

So PIR sensors are only the way to detect intrusions?

A bit more detail would help, exactly what are you trying to detect.
Dog, cat, rat, roach?
How do you want to detect them, movement, heat, electro magnetically through a coil?
Over what area and what distance do you want to detect them, inches or yards?

I am trying to develop a system which notifies me about intrusion of the animals in my farm. For this purpose, i need to alarm only if an animal is detected within the sensor range. For now i am considering this distance to be 20-30m. Any method will serve the purpose, whether it be movement or heat etc as long as it detects the animal. I am planning to detect, cows, dogs and cats for now.

There are image processing algorithms that can discriminate between bi- quadra-ped animals that would work for detecting animals within the field of view. Processing video streams is not within the capabilities of pre DUE Arduinos and DUE may need some kinks worked out of it as many first issue systems do.

wwbrown:
There are image processing algorithms that can discriminate between bi- quadra-ped animals that would work for detecting animals within the field of view. Processing video streams is not within the capabilities of pre DUE Arduinos and DUE may need some kinks worked out of it as many first issue systems do.

Talking of image processing has anyone seen this http://www.aforgenet.com/aforge/framework/ for .net
Don't know if and how well it works (I try to avoid .net) but was discussing this with a friend a couple of days ago and he suggested this site.

wwbrown:

Image processing is something i dont wanna go for. Wanna use simple sensors if possible.

Man is an animal of course, so what you are saying is that you want to detect all animals except man. It should be obvious given, that such a sensor will not be a "simple, cheap & readily available.
It would involve many sensors and processing to discriminate between man and other members of animal species.

The main thing to distinguish the animals you describe from man is the aspect ratio. Man is tall and thin and the other animals are shorter and wider (when viewed side on). Either you need to determine the height of the object your detecting so short objects detect and taller objects don't, or determine it's shape. An ideal job for computer vision and a poor job for something like an arduino. Maybe worth considering something like this http://www.aforgenet.com/framework/samples/computer_vision.html