Detection Device

I am new to Arduinos, but I am having an incredible time learning!

I would like to build 3 devices, one for my daughter, one for my son, and one for myself with some sort of identifier and notification capability.

I would like these devices to know when the other/s have entered in its readable range (many option here I know, but I would like to maintain the battery consumption low) I would like the ability for one of the devices to exclude one or both of the remaining devices from notifying eachother.

Arduinos are a fascinating piece of technology and the applications seem endless. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your requirements are far from complete (the story is too short) to give reasonable advise.

can you tell more about where it is installed (e.g. specific room, or must it be used mobile etc)
What is it s purpose e.g. lock the garage.
etc

First thing that springs to mind is RFID tags. Possibly incorporate them into jewellery or sewn into bags etc?

robtillaart:
Your requirements are far from complete (the story is too short) to give reasonable advise.

can you tell more about where it is installed (e.g. specific room, or must it be used mobile etc)
What is it s purpose e.g. lock the garage.
etc

To add to this it would be mobile, with the purpose of notifying one another that the other/s are near through some form of notification (beep, light up led)

I hope I am providing sufficient detail.

No,
How near is near in feet/meters?

You can consider wifi, 433MHz, Xbee, bluetooth - these all have different ranges (from 1-30 meter max)

longer ranges -> you might need gsm shields and GPS.

robtillaart:

No,
How near is near in feet/meters?

You can consider wifi, 433MHz, Xbee, bluetooth - these all have different ranges (from 1-30 meter max)

longer ranges -> you might need gsm shields and GPS.

30 Meters would work just fine. With vegetation and urban structures in the way it would be more like 15 meter with a max of 30 meters with no obstacles.

I would like this unit to have the option to offer different notifications for each device detected (red/blue led) and to run independently from a PC

Could someone please generate a parts list for me?

Arduino (nano ok?)
Wireless Transmitter (which is the lightest, lowest battery consumption with a 30 meter range?)
LED
On/Off switch
Battery (I'm hoping to power this with a cellphone battery)

Be able to store and run code to identify and notify the user/s that one or more devices have entered it's range (independently from a PC)
And connect to PC if more notification requirements or code modifications need to be made.

I appreciate help with this project!

By "entered it's range" do you mean that the two devices have gotten close enough to be able to exchange data, or are you thinking that you can measure the distance somehow?

PaulS:
By "entered it's range" do you mean that the two devices have gotten close enough to be able to exchange data, or are you thinking that you can measure the distance somehow?

You're right on the line... Close enough to exchange data. I'm sure there is a way to measure the distance between 2 device but that's not a need/priority.