X10 Beginner

Hello,
I am a beginner in X10. I have been searching and reading up on X10 here on the forum. I have learned some important things, like how I might have to have more than 1 controller in my apartment because the power grid lines in different parts of my apartment might not connect, etc.
I want to start with X10 by controlling a single light and seeing how that works. What do I need? Do I just need an X10 light switch (dimmable or non-dimmable) and a CFL light bulb (dimmable or non-dimmable)? How do you interface the arduino with the power grid of the house?
Hopefully I didn't come across as too naiive.
Thanks,
-Falven

KE7GKP:
Most CFL are not dimmable, so be sure you match your controller with whatever kind of lamp you are using.
Just get a X10 switch appropriate for your lamp and a simple controller. Then, at least you can experiment to see which circuits will work where with a known good transmitter/controller. Then when you know that X10 works in your apartment, you can experiment with using Arduino to control your X10 switch.

Be sure to get a PSC05 interface so you can use Arduino to talk to X10.

So is the lamp (the light-bulb) what X10 interfaces with or the switch(wall outlet switch)? Will any CFL (dimmable or non dimmable depending on the switch) at my local hardware store work?
By controller I am guessing you mean my Arduino controller?
Finally, I need a PSC05 (this thing: http://www.amazon.com/X10-TW523-PSC05-Two-Way-Interface/dp/B0006I3ASK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314595361&sr=8-1) to connect to the Arduino controller?
Thanks!
-Falven

KE7GKP:
I don't understand what you are asking. You wanna try that again?

I was just trying to understand how X10 works by clarify the terminology. My question was:
The Arduino sends a signal to the X10 controller, which sends a signal to the inidividual light bulbs or to the switches?

Not sure I understand that question, either.

Ties in with my question above, I was trying to understand if I needed some specific X10 Compact Flourescent Lightbulb or if ANY CFL's work...
Same goes for the switches, do they need to be specific X10 compatible light switches? Or just ones that match the type ofr lightbulb (dimmable/non-dimmable)...

No. I mean a standalone X10 controller. Make sure you have X10 working before you introduce Arduino into the equation.

So the "X10 controller" we are talking about connects to the the "Interface module", which connects to the Arduino?
Interface module: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006I3ASK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ACP6JMVRXLHJ5
Any recomended X10 controllers?

Excellent!
Thank you for this very informative reply, I now know what I would like to do.
I hope this serves as a useful reference for other X10 beginners.
Thanks again,
-Falven