Incoming Signal Generates Cell Phone Calls From Arduino

I am a complete newb. I want to take an output signal from a camera and have an ardunio send a signal to a cell phone to call/text me when the output from the camera is triggered. Please help! is this possible, eventually I want it to send me a text message with the picture the camera takes. There is no internet but there is cell services in that area.

is this possible

Yes, it is. Is it a beginner project? Not by a long shot. Do you have a GSM shield? Do you know what AT commands it recognizes? Do you know which ones, in which order, are needed to send a text message? Do you know how to tell when the camera is triggered?

I do not have a board or shield. I have the camera and when the motion sensor is triggered it can send an output signal out through a I/0 port (assuming its a 5v signal). I don't see why I have to have a GSM shield if the board it self is not communicating through the cell service rather generating the commands to send a predetermined text, kind of like those pre-configured quick replies. I guess really the cell phone will by my GSM shield, this way I don't have to configure to the cell providers requirements, its already made and everyone has lots of left over phones.

Do AT commands differ between phone manufactures? I saw somewhere they are pretty similar. I will be testing this with my HTC incredible 2 as its my spare phone right now.

Also, I found the ADK compatible boards. Would creating an android app be the easiest way for this?

I don't see why I have to have a GSM shield if the board it self is not communicating through the cell service rather generating the commands to send a predetermined text, kind of like those pre-configured quick replies.

The board? Which board? Are you referring to the Arduino? How is it "sending the commands"? To what?

By all means, go ahead and try to send text messages without a GMS shield. Let us know how you manage.

Do AT commands differ between phone manufactures? I saw somewhere they are pretty similar.

Similar != identical.

Would creating an android app be the easiest way for this?

For an iPhone? I doubt it. If you have an Android, and the skills/capabilities to create an app, and the hardware to communicate with the phone, and you want to dedicate the phone to this purpose, by all means, go right ahead.