Live 3D printing

Just in case anyone would like to see my 3D printer in action. :slight_smile:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/blds-dk

Controlled by an Arduino MEGA 1280

Will be printing around an hour from now. (12:20)

I see it :slight_smile:

so what is it? looking like a gear or something at the moment... very very very cool.

Just explained to my nine year old daughter what "that thing I'm watching" is, I'm pretty sure she will now be insisting that I build a 3D printer to fabricate toys for her on demand. Hmm. Not quite that easy, but I like the sentiment....

and by the way, what's the tunage? Nice trance/ambient.. but then drops into a nice riff, but nothing too nuts. Instrumental. Almost Infected Mushroom, but I don't think it is.. Hmm. Astral Projection? Space Buddha? Almost makes me think of Tangerine Dream, too.. is it Antiloop?

LOLOLOL sucker won't come off!

There you go!

My daughter suggested Cooking Spray..lol.. However, maybe she's not far off.. would some kind of silicone spray work?

MAKE IT GO! :frowning:

focalist:
LOLOLOL sucker won't come off!

There you go!

My daughter suggested Cooking Spray..lol.. However, maybe she's not far off.. would some kind of silicone spray work?

The problem is that is MUST stick to the blue tape, but not THAT much... hehehehe... Got it off by reheating the print-bed. :slight_smile:

Valalvax:
MAKE IT GO! :frowning:

Will print something again after dinner. :slight_smile:

focalist:
so what is it? looking like a gear or something at the moment... very very very cool.

Just explained to my nine year old daughter what "that thing I'm watching" is, I'm pretty sure she will now be insisting that I build a 3D printer to fabricate toys for her on demand. Hmm. Not quite that easy, but I like the sentiment....

and by the way, what's the tunage? Nice trance/ambient.. but then drops into a nice riff, but nothing too nuts. Instrumental. Almost Infected Mushroom, but I don't think it is.. Hmm. Astral Projection? Space Buddha? Almost makes me think of Tangerine Dream, too.. is it Antiloop?

Might have been deadmau5 or Faithless.

A lot more pictures of it here: RepRap | Flickr

So sitting here thinking about "what could I do with that", and a thought popped into my head... instead of extruding plastic, I'm thinking other material.. specifically, candy!

Hard candy brought to "Hard Crack" stage might be too brittle, but just below that temp might be workable. I was thinking chocolate at first, but that's really low temp melting and you'd need to actively cool the room to make it harden fast. Hard candy might just work however.

Sure, they make candy molds, but why not use a multithousand-dollar immensely complex and slow process instead!

focalist:
So sitting here thinking about "what could I do with that", and a thought popped into my head... instead of extruding plastic, I'm thinking other material.. specifically, candy!

Hard candy brought to "Hard Crack" stage might be too brittle, but just below that temp might be workable. I was thinking chocolate at first, but that's really low temp melting and you'd need to actively cool the room to make it harden fast. Hard candy might just work however.

Sure, they make candy molds, but why not use a multithousand-dollar immensely complex and slow process instead!

There are some who made a chocolate extruder... But it is highly unpractical.

I haven't really made something I need yet, but just the feeling of having a problem, and then just print what is needed... That feeling is so nice.

The belt on the Y axis was a bit loose... less than 2 minutes later...

I see it! It was like a UFO coming down :slight_smile:

Printing again! :slight_smile:

I've want one of these more than I can remember wanting pretty much anything :slight_smile:

Moving house next week - might actually have room for my evil laboratory at last!

Cylindric:
I've want one of these more than I can remember wanting pretty much anything :slight_smile:

Moving house next week - might actually have room for my evil laboratory at last!

Underground lair?

Still printing!!! Not sure how long I will continue... Searching for bugs in the firmware...

Printing again on http://www.ustream.tv/channel/blddk-reprap if anyone is interested in how it looks :smiley:

Making upgrades...

Changing from the stock PLA bushings to much better LM10UU linear bearings. And upgrading the smooth rods from 8mm to 10mm at the same time too.

Drat - missed this post again. Well, now it is on "Notify" ...

Got the upgrades installed!

Hard to see, but the arduino mega is hiding down there :slight_smile:

Printing again, this time I am attempting to make a Herringbone gear set, and push my printer's accuracy with a layer height of only 0.15mm!

I really like the upgrades you do to your machine. They are a great improvement to the original. I would love to have such a machine, but at the moment I don't have the space for it.

Printing again... This time I will try to print a sensor bumper for my WiFi Tank 2.0, but the print is tricky... It is long and thin, I am doing a 0.15mm layer height, there are two 45 degree over hangs, and in those overhang there are a hole for an IR proximity sensor... This will not be easy, but I hope it will work :smiley:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/blddk-reprap