2 months with the same problem GPS give rubbish with Arduino Uno.

(deleted)

With the same GPS reciever I get this on the hyper terminal on the computer.

What hardware and configuration are you using to read from the receiver on the computer?
(A "serial port" designed to connect to the 9-pin connector on most PCs and USB/Serial converter modules is NOT suitable for connecting directly to Arduino. You need an "rs232 level converter" or similar.)
(and I though the "standard" speed for GPS things was 4800bps.)
(either of those issues would cause pretty much exactly the symptoms you are seeing.)

I investigated for quite sometime now (at least 2 months) and I think I do not have a clue of what do next anymore.
I tried to change the parity, stop bit and data lenght and different stuff with no avail.

Everything except the baud rate....

It looks like it may be another 2 months before he checks back here for an answer. Maybe he's checking the cross-posts.

Don

will2is:

#include <NewSoftSerial.h>

NewSoftSerial nss (0,1);

That's your mistake. You can't run NewSoftSerial AND hardware serial on the same two pins!

Pick two OTHER pins for NewSoftSerial.

Multiple cross-posts.
Another one for the blacklist

Thank you for your answers...

That's your mistake. You can't run NewSoftSerial AND hardware serial on the same two pins!

Pick two OTHER pins for NewSoftSerial.

I changed the port but I get exactly the same rubbish

Spycathcer
The GPS receiver I use is defaulted to 9600. and can use the 115200 baud rate and some more. I checked the datasheet. so on the hyper terminal it was set on 9600.

Hello Westfw

I am using the max232 with the GPS S1315R. the GPS work with 9600bps which I used on the hyper terminal. in fact when I connect to the hyper terminal it does not do through the arduino and the result is great. I get the format I want. but through the arduino it is just something else... pretty much nonsense....

since everything work well with the hyper terminal... the conclusion is that there is no problem with the connections.

sorry to disappoint you, the baud rate was ok... during investigation that's the reason I have not mention it

in fact when I connect to the hyper terminal it does not do through the arduino and the result is great

These Google translations aren't great - could you maybe get someone who speaks English to help you?

Your symptom looks like a baud rate mismatch.

How does the GPS determine what baud rate to use?

Your symptom looks like a baud rate mismatch

I am using the max232 with the GPS S1315R

Sounds more like the max232 is still in-circuit to me.

Maybe the OP will enlighten us.

see below the code I normally use to do get the information from the GPS.

The way you guys mention about the baud rate I feel like Serial.begin(9600); is not enough of a initialisation of a baud rate...?

what else should I do then if it is the case?

the code is a bit different that the first one.

void setup()
{
lcd.begin(16, 4);
pinMode(rxPin, INPUT);
Serial.begin(9600);
}

}

void loop()
{
if (Serial.available() > 0)
{
// read the incoming data:
incomingdata = Serial.read();

if (incomingdata)
{
j = 0;
dataRead[j] = incomingdata; // include each char read to the array

dataRead[j+1] = '\0';
Serial.print(dataRead[j]);
j++;
}
}
else
{
Serial.print("Not found \n");
delay(1000);
}

}

There is a small mistake of } on the last message I posted... pls disregard.

Well so far we do not have a link to the data sheet for the device, we do not have an adequate unambiguous description, photograph, or diagram of the interconnections, and we do not have a copy of all of the code. Otherwise we have everything we need to provide an intelligent response to his questions.

Don

will2is:
There is a small mistake of } on the last message I posted... pls disregard.

Why don't to fix it? There is a "modify"-button to edit previous posts.

Cheers,
Kari

You should connect the GPS to pins other than 0 and 1 - so connect them to pins 2 and 3 and use newSoftSerial to talk to the GPS. From a quick google search it looks like you should be using 9600 as the rate.

Also, the Serial function is so you can talk to the IDE via the debugger and you can't overlap it with the GPS. You need Serial to talk to the debugger and NewSoftSerial to talk to the GPS.

So you need two serial functions like so:

#include <NewSoftSerial.h>

NewSoftSerial nss(2,3);

void setup() 
{
  lcd.begin(16, 4);            
  pinMode(rxPin, INPUT);
  Serial.begin(9600);         // for the debugger
  nss.begin(9600);           // for the GPS on pins 2 and 3
}

I tracked down a copy of the SkyTraq S1315F (FLASH version of the S1315R ROM version)

It says 9600 baud.

thanks for you replies,

Daneel, I will try what you said and update you as soon as it is finished

Well, Daneel it still give rubbish. I order a new arduino... since I played a lot with this one I wander if I have not damaged it... or something.... I will check with the new one and give some updates...